Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 25, 2012, 01:04 PM
    I could have told you that; didn't I say there were indications that it wasn't going to hatch. Maybe you will listen to me next time :)
    vannarea Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2012, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I could have told you that; didnt I say there were indications that it wasnt going to hatch. Maybe you will listen to me next time :)
    Yeah lol but two of my chicks died today the red one wth white stripes and one of the grey ones:( they died at the vets the other two I have with me I have to dropper feed and water. I have another question why would my male duck attack my chickens?
    Expert

Oct 26, 2012, 03:23 AM
    Ducks and geese are very territorial, especially when the female is around.

Oct 26, 2012, 09:46 AM
    Ducks and geese are very territorial, especially when the female is around.
    The last two chicks died this morning
    Expert

Oct 26, 2012, 11:58 AM
    Proves, luvvy, you just can't fool with mother nature. Best to the take the high road next time; you are working too hard to save chicks that are best left to chance. Vet bills for chicks isn't worth it, vanarea, I have raised many animals on a farm, ducks, geese, chickens for the roaster and stew pot, chickens for my eggs and never once have I taken a chicken to the vet. My horse, yes, not chickens.

What you paid at the vets could have probably bought you an incubator!

It was wonderful conferring with you on all of this, vannarea :)

How old are you by the way, and what country do you live in ?

Oct 27, 2012, 07:03 AM
    proves, luvvy, you just can't fool with mother nature. Best to the take the high road next time; you are working too hard to save chicks that are best left to chance. Vet bills for chicks isnt worth it, vanarea, i have raised many animals on a farm, ducks, geese, chickens for the roaster and stew pot, chickens for my eggs and never once have i taken a chicken to the vet. My horse, yes, not chickens.

What you paid at the vets could have probably bought you an incubator!

It was wonderful conferring with you on all of this, vannarea :)

how old are you by the way, and what country do you live in ?

Nov 2, 2012, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vannarea View Post
    I ordered on incubator yesterday it should be in in about 2 weeks. My ducks lay there eggs on the ground and leave them how long can they sit there and still be able to hatch I can't figure out around what time they lay them
    Expert

Nov 2, 2012, 06:43 PM
    What kind of ducks are they, I don't think we ever cleared that up? Are they random colours, or are they mallards ?

It is really like any other kind of egg, chicken eggs can't lay around for long before collecting and you will have to keep a close eye on the ducks to make sure you grab some fresh ones to incubate.

What kind of climate are you in? I think I asked that before but you didn't answer. This is an international site, so it doesn't matter, we all know what countries each of us are from.

Nov 3, 2012, 01:23 PM
    What kind of ducks are they, I dont think we ever cleared that up? Are they random colours, or are they mallards ?

It is really like any other kind of egg, chicken eggs can't lay around for long before collecting and you will have to keep a close eye on the ducks to make sure you grab some fresh ones to incubate.

What kind of climate are you in? I think I asked that before but you didnt answer. This is an international site, so it doesnt matter, we all know what countries each of us are from.
    They are ancona they are black and white what time frame is it about like around how many hours can they sit on ground and be cold they lay like 1 aday but don't sit on it she lays it were ever she is standing at the time I live in Arkansas but the weather is different this year it will be like 50degrees one day and 70 the next the ducks are like 8 months old around

Nov 11, 2012, 05:34 PM
    they are ancona they are black and white what time frame is it about like around how many hours can they sit on ground and be cold they lay like 1 aday but dont sit on it she lays it were ever she is standing at the time i live in arkansas but the weather is different this year it will be like 50degrees one day and 70 the next the ducks are like 8 months old around
    I candled the egg and there is veins inside does that mean it is alive? It is 7 days old

Nov 21, 2012, 08:53 PM
    o lol thanks for all your help
    My new egg is 8 days away from hatching!! The difference in this on and the first is huge lol and I got 2 more today
    Expert

Nov 22, 2012, 12:13 AM
    my new egg is 8 days away from hatching!!!!!!!! the difference in this on and the first is huge lol and i got 2 more today
    Good! Are they duck eggs?

Nov 22, 2012, 03:11 PM
    Good! Are they duck eggs?
    Yeah and I thought my chickens had stopped laying but I found a nest of like 20 eggs today

Nov 26, 2012, 11:09 AM
    yeah and i thought my chickens had stopped laying but i found a nest of like 20 eggs today
    3 more days and I will have a baby duck :) I'm so excited it is starting to respond to me talking to it I can't wait but when can I let it swim for the first time?
    Expert

Nov 26, 2012, 02:05 PM
    It is going to lonely but will bond with you immediately as you are the one it sees first. That's the way it works. He will be born with a lot of down on him/her and as soon as he/she gets permanent feathers, then they can swim. The down will not give enough protection from the cold water. So you will have to wait a bit, don't remember really how long, but soon because mother duck would like to get them out in the water away from predators on land, almost right away, but can with just down feathers.

Please let me know what happens, I know this is really exciting for you. I oh so loved my mallards on the farm, they followed me everywhere, even when I wento to the pond to swim; they flew of course, but the geese would come too trailing behind, the cat following at the side weaving in out of the fence, and of course, I had two dogs at the time. All got along together, no kidding!

Except for the rooster of course, he was a nasty old thing with his spurs ready to come at me!

Take care, let me know !

Nov 26, 2012, 05:14 PM
    It is going to lonely but will bond with you immediately as you are the one it sees first. Thats the way it works. He will be born with a lot of down on him/her and as soon as he/she gets permanent feathers, then they can swim. The down will not give enough protection from the cold water. So you will have to wait a bit, dont remember really how long, but soon because mother duck would like to get them out in the water away from predators on land, almost right away, but can with just down feathers.

Please let me know what happens, I know this is really exciting for you. I oh so loved my mallards on the farm, they followed me everywhere, even when i wento to the pond to swim; they flew of course, but the geese would come too trailing behind, the cat following at the side weaving in out of the fence, and of course, i had two dogs at the time. All got along together, no kidding!

Except for the rooster of course, he was a nasty old thing with his spurs ready to come at me!

Take care, let me know !
    My 2 roosters try to jump me ever time I go to feed lol they crazy I have a least two others that have veins but I don't know how far along and a bunch of my chicken eggs have viens ima have my hands full :) the duckling will have me and my ferret to play with. I know she won't hurt it because when my cats had babies she played with them as soon as they could see. She isa lot smaller then regularferrets she is onlt about 1/4th the size o a regular one. Oh and when will it start peeping it only moves around when I talk to it now and I only know that because I was candling it when I talked and it moved I was so excited I woke my sister and her husband up so they could see. Lol I think they tought I went crazy I was rnning around their room singing
    Expert

Nov 27, 2012, 03:43 AM
    They don't peep, just open and close their bills, I guess until their quackers start up :)

Nov 27, 2012, 11:37 AM
    They dont peep, just open and close their bills,, I guess until their quackers start up :)
    Lol my ducks are around 9 months old when do they start sittig on eggs usually? They lay one aday but they don't sit on them
    Expert

Nov 27, 2012, 02:00 PM
    Mallards a terribly good parents, both the drake and mom will take turns sitting on eggs. But I don't think you have mallards, just domestic ducks, isn't that right?

They are notoriously terrible moms.

Nov 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
    Mallards a terribly good parents, both the drake and mom will take turns sitting on eggs. But i dont think you have mallards, just domestic ducks, isnt that right?

They are notoriously terrible moms.
    Yeah they are domestic. The baby is still moving in the egg but not pecking on shell .do they sometimes go past 25 days before they hatch?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does a peephole on a duck egg look like [ 0 Answers ]

My one duck was sitting on eggs and something came and got her, so I took the eggs inside and put them in an incubator. I don't know how old the eggs are. I know there fertile because I shined a light on them and I see stuff in them. But I can't make out if there alive and how old they are. When I...

Duck can't walk [ 2 Answers ]

I have a duck that is about six months old. He is a male and I have another male so they may have got in a fight but, there is no blood or broked legs have cheeked him good. I found him stuck in the mud and could not walk. He is eating and drinking and pooping but can not walk. Could it be his...

What's a good duck to have [ 8 Answers ]

Just want some ppls opinion on which species of duck is better as a pet and why...

Whole Duck [ 6 Answers ]

Any tips or recipes on how to prepare duck. Thank you!

View more questions Search