Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bill Lyons Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2012, 06:59 PM
    French citizen ship
    I was born I France by US parents and have a French birth certificate can I become a French citizen?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 16, 2012, 07:01 PM
    Do you live in Washington DC? Is that why this is posted in this forum?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 16, 2012, 07:23 PM
    No, being born in France gives you no rights to citizenship. One of your two parents has to be a citizen of France to have citizenship at birth.

** the US is one of the few places where being born here gives you any rights to citizenship. Most all other nations give no such rights.

You must live there for 5 years to apply for citizenship, or live there 2 years and be a graduate from a French university.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandaughter of French Citizen Believes Eligible for Dual Citizenship (French/USA) [ 1 Answers ]

I recently visited my Aunt (in California) and she gave me a sparse amount of information to the effect as follows: 1.) Even though I was born in California and live in Washington State, because my grandmother was a French citizen that never naturalized American (never became and American...

Can French citizen applying for US citizenship keep French nationality too? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am a French citizen with a green card since 1997, that I obtained through marriage. I have been living in the US since then and I would like to apply to a US citizenship but keep my French citizenship as well. Is this possible? Also, I am now separated from my husband. Can I...

View more questions Search