Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AbysmalSpy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2005, 04:56 PM
    CD/DVD Discs for backups question
    Hi there,

I'm a novice. Could someone please explain to me the difference between CD+RW and CD-RW. In particular what the + and - signs mean. I want to buy some backup discs for my computer and I'm not sure which is best. I have a LG DVD/CD multi recorder DVD/CD rewritable drive. It's an LG GSA-4160B.

TIA :)
    Pete :cool:
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 12, 2005, 06:16 AM
    CD/DVD Disks
    In order to confuse the public various manufacturers decided to split into two camps.The + and the - formats.The plus format is supported by Philips,Sony,Hewlett-Packard,Dell,Ricoh,and Yamaha.The minus is supported by Panasonic,Toshiba,Apple,Hitachi,Nec,Pioneer,Sharp, and Samsung.Yes you've guessed,which is best?
    The - (minus) format DVD burners will also support the + (plus) format.But the + (plus) DVD burners will not support the - (minus) format! Got that?
    All the difference between the two is code,pride,and er,money.
    Microsoft are supporting the + (plus) camp the last time I read up on them.But they will probably edge their bets,and end up supporting both camps. :eek:
    Hope your not too confused.

Jan 13, 2005, 12:43 AM
    Thanks Nez,

I'm still a little confused but I get the gest of it.

Pete
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2005, 07:06 AM
    Dvd; cd/rw
    Hi,
    For backups, I highly suggest using the non-rewritables; such as CD-R.
    Reason?
    You could grap a cd-rw, write over it, and then wish you hadn't; due to needing the backup you just wrote over!

CD-R's are cheap, about 15 dollars US for 30 or 40 at a large well-known department store.
    At one time, I burned a backup of Outlook Express email onto CD-RW's.
    Later, when I needed them badly, I discovered I had burned over top of them by mistake!

Best wishes,
    fredg

Jan 13, 2005, 12:50 PM
    Thanks Fred,

Good points. I think I will go for cd-r's.

Is there any difference between those and dvd-r's?

Cheers
    jcthomp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2005, 10:07 AM
    CD-R vs. DVD-R
    A few main differences between CD-R and DVD-R:

1. Sheer size. A CD-R can typically hold 800MB of data, while a DVD-R can hold 4.7GB or 9.4GB (4700 MB or 9400 MB, depending on if it's single sided or double-sided)

2. What hardware do you have/can you afford? - You can't create DVD-R's on a CD-R drive. Just like you (usually) can't play a movie DVD in your music CD player. But if you're out shopping for something new, DVD recorders can be fairly reasonably priced these days (I think), and in many instances you can create CD-R's with your DVD recorder.

3. Price of media. Let's assume you have a full 20GB drive. It would take approximately 25 CD-R's to copy the entire contents of your drive. These disks are available (in larger quantities) for about 22 cents each, costing $5.50. If one CD gets lost or damaged, you have 800MB lost (4% of your data is now gone) Found some cheapie 4.7GB DVD-R cd's, listed at 39 cents per disk, but now it'll only take 5 CD's (4 and some leftover), costing $1.56. But now if you lose or damage 1 cd, almost 25% of your data may be gone.

Isn't it fun weighing benefits vs. consequences?
    Maye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AbysmalSpy
    Hi there,

I'm a novice. Could someone please explain to me the difference between CD+RW and CD-RW. In particular what the + and - signs mean. I want to buy some backup discs for my computer and i'm not sure which is best. I have a LG DVD/CD multi recorder DVD/CD rewritable drive. it's an LG GSA-4160B.

TIA :)
    I'm a novice. Could someone please explain to me the difference between CD+RW and CD-RW. In particular what the + and - signs mean. I want to buy some backup discs for my computer and I'm not sure which is best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about Backups [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: I have a question regarding doing a backup. I have been asked by a friend of the family to set up a backup device at his business. The business is very small. They have a total of three computers of only which 2 are networked together... (if you want to call that a network.) Anyway,...

Backups [ 5 Answers ]

Ok... most of you nice people probably aren't going to believe a word I say, and I don't blame you one bit. But I'm going to post my question anyway because somebody might just answer it. So here's the story: My computer was incredibly low on space, and I unistalled a lot of programs, which...

Pc Backups No Server [ 3 Answers ]

At my job we have around 30 pc's running windows xp pro and do not have a file server. Is there any good way to backup the files from these computers even though we don't have a file server.

Using CD-RW discs on a home CD burner unit [ 2 Answers ]

I recently started using CD-RW discs on my home audio CD burner deck. According to the owner's manual, I should be able to finalize discs, then unfinalize them, erase them, re-record and finalize them, and so on and so on, doing so over and over literally hundreds of times with a single disc. ...

Making extra backups [ 3 Answers ]

I found a website which explains how to make extra registry backups. A tool for retrieving these backups is included. It's a zipped batch file, with instructions which simply say to unzip it to the root directory. That's where I get confused. What part of the root directory does it go to? I...

View more questions Search