Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 13, 2016, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    And how difficult is it to create authentic-looking letterhead nowadays? I could do it!
    Of course you could. But OP indicates it is a real law firm. Thus one would expect that any payment would go directly to that firm; hardly a well-designed scam. :)
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2016, 10:24 AM
    Personally, if I was handicapped and had a legitimate handicap hang tag, and the ticket issuing entity flat out refused to acknowledge its existence or validity (as it appears is the case here)... I'd tell them take me to court, let the Judge see who is in the right or the wrong.

The odds you have a simpleton as a judge is far less likely than finding a simpleton, or simpletons (plural) at some ticket writing entity is far less.

And if its like many if not most places in the USA, they have a quota of tickets to write or they get in trouble, so as has been proven the case in these instances...people who did not earn or deserve a ticket..end up with them anyway.

I can't see a judge not throwing this out when you show proof you have one, its valid, and was valid at the time the ticket was written.

I would show up with more than just the hang tag...but also every bit of proof it was legally and rightfully issued to you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 13, 2016, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Of course you could. But OP indicates it is a real law firm. Thus one would expect that any payment would go directly to that firm; hardly a well-designed scam. :)
    Only if it's the correct address and phone number. And the law-firm name and logo can be tweaked to look similar, but is different. Ask me about all the spoofed emails and caller IDs I get from Google and the IRS and the US Treasury Dept. Unfortunately, people don't check for authenticity.
    Alfama Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Aug 14, 2016, 03:25 PM
    I intend to sit this one out and await to see what materializes.I'll keep you informed.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 14, 2016, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfama View Post
    I intend to sit this one out and await to see what materializes.I'll keep you informed.
    Thanks! We will eagerly await your next post!

Sep 11, 2016, 12:19 AM
    Last week the solicitors phoned me advising me to make a payment to prevent court action, I told them to get lost and if they do I will enter a defence. Yesterday I received a letter from the solicitors giving me a 40% discount if I pay by the 21 sept'. There's no way that I'm going to pay them anything.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 11, 2016, 12:29 AM
    Errrm Solicitors NEVER call to make such demands.
    I hope you have that documented ;)

Sep 11, 2016, 12:57 AM
    Yes, I think I should have worded it better it says their client is willing to make the offer of 40% discount against the PCN if paid before the 21st sept.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 11, 2016, 12:12 PM
    Just found this thread. Wow, 4 years this is going on. What a bunch of jerks.

Fact is, they've been threatening to take you to court for 4 years if you don't pay, and that's never happened, so I'd continue to ignore. They seem to be getting desperate to get even a penny from you, I mean after all, they've spent money sending letters to you, paying someone to stay on your case, so they want something for their time. LOL.

I'm in Canada. Many many many years ago, when I was in my late 20's had my first child, a friend and I went shopping. We went to a very expensive children's clothing store, one I'd normally never shop at. Somehow (no excuse other than temporary insanity wanting the $40 toddler shoes I saw), I ended up getting a credit card for their store.

I bought the $40 shoes and when I got home I realized how stupid I had been. So I sent the $40, and tore up the card.

5 years later I get a letter saying that even though I had paid the amount of my purchase in full right away, they charge 30 cents for using the card. I didn't pay that 30 cents, and now, with interest, that 30 cents has gone up to $22 in the last 5 years and I better pay it or they'll take me to court.

I sent 30 cents, a quarter and a nickel, and told them that's all they'd get, and now it's 18 years since I got that card and every once in a while (years in between), I still get a letter from them. The last letter said that I now owe $135 for the 30 cents I didn't pay originally. They still threaten to take me to court. At this point in time I use the letters to line my bird cage. :)

This has never shown up on any credit checks, it's never had any effect on us, so I just ignore it. If they want to spend money sending letters every few years, let them. I paid them what I owed them and they won't get another penny from me.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 11, 2016, 12:22 PM
    I had to spread the rep Alty. Sorry. I agree with yr post. I am a senior so don't need this in Ontario yet. But I do wish my agency would provide cards for homecare workers to park and not get a $20 ticket. Not going to happen. ��

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a disable wife with a disable son we have heart problems do you think my husband w [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my son are disable and we have heart problems and I have high blood pressure , diabits, depreson, kidney problomes and back problomes my son has heart problomes and a mental delay and rsv do you think my husband would have to stay in mexico

Parking ticket- Double parking [ 3 Answers ]

I'm guilty, I know. I double parked in front of a bakery... but $115.00 for five minutes of double parking. They must have been watching me. Any chance I can get the fine Lowered. Any chance I can say I double parked to answer my cell?

How can disable key F12 and disable CD Rom [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I computer techinition.. I have problem that when ever I install windows in the computer of my clients then they made changes... now I have decided to disable key F12 so they could not boot and CD Rom from where they could not install any other windows.. Please guide me hoping soon reply from...

Disable to do sex [ 7 Answers ]

My Husband is not able to erect during sexual intercorse.We are been married since last 8 months now.We meet only during weekends due to our work commitments.is this reason why he is unable to do sex.

Disable help [ 2 Answers ]

My cousin's a disable young man in a wheel chair that needs assistance. He lives in a house that was on the demolition list in Michigan, but he had a few friends help him fix the house, to make it liveable. The problem is the city says the house does not exsist. So therefore he can't get the...

View more questions Search