Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnskr2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2012, 09:08 AM
    No cold water pressure/no cold water in whole house
    Hi. I'm troubleshooting a water pressure problem and have reached the extent of my knowledge. Hoping someone can offer some sage advice! I bought a house in June. At the time, I noticed that the water pressure, both hot & cold, was low at the faucets but I chalked it up to being on a well (I'm a city girl & have always been on city water/sewer so what do I know? ). Three weeks ago, the cold water stopped flowing out of all the faucets in the house. I first realized this due to a toilet not flushing (toilets have flushmate systems in tanks). We partially drained the blue well tank in the basement and, within a few hours, cold water was restored and the toilets flushed again. Last week, the cold water went out again (this time while I was in the shower... ouch! ). I tried partially draining the well tank again (hoping for a 2nd miracle) but I still have no cold water. The well tank maintains a 40psi pressure; after draining the tank for 10 minutes, it was still at 33psi. Since I have good pressure coming into and in the well tank, it seems the problem is after the water exits the tank and, thus, somewhere in the pipes. A few other details, in case they help: the pipes are copper, there is a filter after the well tank on the cold water line (it was changed in July), you can hear the water trickling into the basement toilet but can no longer hear any water trickling into the upstairs toilet (last week both toilets had water trickling, ever so slowly, into their tanks). Any information/advice is extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Kelly
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2012, 10:09 AM
    If there is a filter bypass, shut the filter off and see what happens. I would also change the filter. Bypass the water softener if so equipped. Could also be a bad PRV if you have one. Try an outside hose bib. Anything? Got to be a valve, water softener or a filter. Hard to believe the aerators are all clogged but worth a look.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suddenly no hot or cold water to house but outside hose has excellent pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Suddenly, I have no hot or cold water pressure to any faucet in my house. I have excellent water pressure to my water softener, but no pressure after there. The main valve from the meter and to the house are both open. Any thoughts?

Low cold water pressure throughout the house [ 3 Answers ]

What would cause me to have low cold water pressure throughout the entire house but the hot is fine? And how can I fix it?

Whole house cold water pressure drop off,public water pvc pipes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I searched the forums and didn't find my exact problem. So at every faucet in the house, the cold water drops off after initial turn on. House is on the public water main and was plumbed with PVC pipe. Just turned 5 yrs old I am guessing I have some kind of obstruction? There is a main...

Low cold water pressure in half of house [ 1 Answers ]

I've been installing insulation under my house - there's a narrow crawlspace, so I'm sure I've knocked something about. When I got out, I had no cold water coming to our washing machine and the water pressure in the kitchen is extremely low. Here's the weird part, the hot water works in the washing...

View more questions Search