Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mkcpad32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2012, 07:57 PM
    Executor not sure what to do!
    I am the executor of my grandfathers estate. He has a poor condition mobile home that isn't worth anything. The problem is, the mobile home park still charges rent. My grandfather has an IRA that goes directly to a beneficiary and not the estate. There are no other finances to cover the rent, upkeep or demolition of the mobile home. Can I just abandon the property? Options?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 14, 2012, 09:49 PM
    What state or country are you in?

Generally, although you may be named as executor in his will, you do not have the powers or responsibilities of executor until you have applied to the probate court and have been appointed. I suggest you counsult a probate attorney licensed in your jurisdiction to determine if there would be anything to be gained by doing so. As you have already determined, the IRA is not a part of the estate, so if there is nothing else in the estate, it does appear that to do nothing may well be your best option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Executor of will [ 3 Answers ]

My mother passed away last week. My step-father is the executor of the will and I am the executor if he dies. He is in the assisted living facility and has some dementia. I'm his power of attorney. Does this give the right to take over the executor job for him? What if is niece takes over the...

Executor needs help [ 2 Answers ]

I found out my father has appointed me Executor of his Will. I am having an issue with disbursing a bit of cash he had saved up. One of the beneficiaries used to collect my father's social security benefits every month. I know for a fact that this beneficiary did not pay my father a penny for 3...

Executor [ 3 Answers ]

I am from a family of five. My sister and one brother are co-executors. My parents of 83 years old have finally completed their will and trust. My other two brothers have recently persuaded my parents to take a loan on one of their rental properties (but it will be in my parents name only). At the...

What an executor can not do? [ 8 Answers ]

My mom just died less than 2 weeks ago, I am 1 of 5 kids. My brother and sister are both executors of her will(which I have not been allowed to see), anyway they are already negotiating between themselves who gets which of the 3 cars(1 of them doesn't run), there is 3 houses and a total of 50...

Executor not doing her job [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am from Ohio my mother passed away in may of this year, my sister was appointed to be executor in her will, there are 5 of us and everything was left to the five of us, we tried to find out information from her and she would get angry, now she has changed her phone number and has no...

View more questions Search