Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    progtick Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2012, 01:04 AM
    self-employed - subtract previous year's expenses from this year's profit?
    No profit was made previous year (2010), but a bunch of expenses were done. No taxes were filed for that year. Typical start-up scenario.

Gains were made in year in 2011, so taxes would need to be filed for that year, but I wonder if expenses from previous year can be subtracted to compute net gain for the year 2011? If yes, what's the exact procedure?

I'm assuming net gains = income earned - business expenses for a self-employed individual. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 14, 2012, 04:38 AM
    Income averaging was repealed in 1986, sorry.
    You have to deduct expenses in the year in which they were incurred.
    You are just now doing taxes for 2011?
    Yes, you subtract expenses from income. You need a 1040, Sch C, and Sch SE.
    C lists expenses. SE is straight self employment tax for Social Security.
    You should have started paying Estimated Quarterly's in 2012. Only the first year (which I guess since you didn't file for 2010 will be 2011) does not have to file each quarter.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 14, 2012, 05:52 AM
    What joypulv says is true for the most part. If you had other income in 2010, the losses from your business can offset that income.

If there was no other income, the losses can, in most cases can be brought forward to offset current 2011 income under a process called "net operating loss".

You must first file the 2010 and 2011 returns to document the losses with the IRS, then submit the NOL to bring forward the losses to 2011.

If you need professional help, email me at the email address on my profile if you cannot see it below.
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Oct 14, 2012, 04:59 PM
    Atlanta is right you need to amend 2010 and compute your NOL.

It is important to note that any NOL carryforward will not reduce your self-employment tax in 2011. I suggest you get professional advice to review your 2010 situation to see if any of your expenses can be capitalized so they can be carried forward and deducted against business income and save on the S/E tax as opposed to being expensed in 2010 with no offset to the self-employment income in 2011.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 14, 2012, 08:57 PM
    Good point, MLSNC, about the SE tax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Self Employed. No Expenses, No Losses. Just Net Profit. [ 6 Answers ]

Towards the middle of 2011 I started working freelance for mTurk. I didn't make enough from any one person to receive a 1099 form. I did not have another job, so I won't be getting a W-2 form. I was told to fill in the Schedule C form. I do not have any expenses or losses. I just have net income....

Arnold was employed during the first six months of the year and earned a $46,000 sala [ 1 Answers ]

Arnold was employed during the first six months of the year and earned a $46,000 salary. During the next 6 months, he collected $4,800 of unemployment compensation, borrowed $6,000 (using his personal residence as collateral), and withdrew $1,000 from his savings account (including $60, interest)....

If company makes loss in previous year what company will do in current year [ 1 Answers ]

As per balance sheet and profit and loss account there is a loss in 2009,what will accountant do in the current year i.e.2010

How to claim K-1 from previous year? [ 2 Answers ]

I have some loss from K-1 form from previsou year. Not much.. few hundred dollars.. I used turbo tax to enter the numbers but I get LESS than actual loss from the K-1. First, how do I claim loss from previous year of K-1 form? Second, what is the better way to maximize refund? Thank you.

Moving Expenses for Previous Year [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm from India working in US on H1 B visa. My wife moved from India to US as dependent in 2005. I recently found that I could have deducted my wife's travel expenses under moving during my federal tax filing. I'd like to know if there is any chance to file an...

View more questions Search