Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liz2012 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2012, 06:28 AM
    Divorce while waiting for green card
    My husband filed the paper work for the green card around 5 years ago. Our lawyer back then advised that although we both were working on H1B visas to just submit one petition since we were married to avoid double expense. Based on the immigration website, we still need to wait one more year for a visa # to be available for us. And then of course it would take another year or so to finally get the green card. Our marriage has been in trouble for quite some time and we want to get a divorce. However, I am concern because I am assuming that If I get divorced, he will get his green card, but I won't right?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Oct 27, 2012, 06:22 AM
    Not so clear... but if he obtains his gc based on employment, you won't get one if you're divorced before the approval.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Got married, couldn't apply for green card, out of status, bailed and waiting 4 court [ 10 Answers ]

Foreigner who is holder of f-1 (student) visa. After 3 years of studying in US, met a girl and then got married on February 2011.Very happy with my marriage :). After I got married, I gave a copy of marriage certificate (she is An American citizen)to the school where I got my I-20 & studied....

Conditional green card needing a divorce. Will the green card be lost? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a conditional green card by marriage in good faith. My wife(my petitioner) and I were only together for 2 months after marriage since she has to go to rehab for drug control.She has a boyfriend before who was into drugs and was controlling her that is why she was sent to rehab.Up to this...

Apply for 2nd I765 while waiting for Green Card approval [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I just filed for a Green Card through my wife (US Citizen) and with the I-485 I included an I-765 for employment authorization. Since the employment authorization can take up to 90 days, I was wondering if it is true that I can bring the receipt I got from USCIS and go to a local office (here...

Divorce while waiting for Green Card [ 1 Answers ]

I need to get some help on something and am not sure what I need to do... I will be brief in my explanation, but hopefully this makes sense. My girlfriend moved to the United states 3 years and 1 month ago. She married a week after arriving in this country... It was already set up at the time...

View more questions Search