Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mareau8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2012, 05:36 AM
    Prove income from a small business
    How do I figure my income on my small business for a refinance.
    My deductions show a loss for the year, but I do transfer money
    From the business to my personal accountant for living expenses.
    Thanks for your input.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2012, 05:42 AM
    So have you been living off your capital?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 11, 2012, 08:51 AM
    You can not just transfer money, you can pay yourself and then the check or money you give yourself is a business expense.

Even though it is YOUR business, you can not just take money from it, without showing it being paid out of business to YOU.

Also money paid to you is income to you,

But you can not just show your home electric bill as a business expense, it does .not work that way
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 11, 2012, 10:44 AM
    You can't have it both ways (unless you keep multiple sets of books).
    You told the IRS you had a loss, but were really spending business income on yourself. Now you aren't going to get a bank loan.
    You could have talked to an accountant about being a corporation or employer and paying yourself a legitimate salary. Of course then you have to pay taxes on that income as an individual. So... there's no easy way to cook the books.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2012, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You can not just transfer money, you can pay yourself and then the check or money you give yourself is a business expense.
    Chuck that is an incorrect statement, money you pay yourself out of a business is drawings, not a business expense. You are suggesting that this person has falsely calculated a loss in such a manner. I don't see that implied. What I see implied is a completely inept business owner doing what so many do, confusing income with profit and capital with available funds

He wants a loan, then prove you have sufficient income and available cash after drawings to repay the loan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Determine the amount active business income eligible for the small business deduction [ 1 Answers ]

Problem You, a tax professional working at a local accounting firm, have just received a request from Terry, an assurance partner in the office, asking you to prepare a memorandum to one of his client tax files. He would like you to determine the amount of active business income eligible for the...

Canadian Income Tax - leasing and small business [ 6 Answers ]

I need help understanding lease write off and how it will affects my tax return. Example: I earn $50,000 per yr in my career and have a small business (sole proprietorship) that I earn $2,000 per yr. If I lease a vehicle under my business that costs me $1000 per month I understand I can write...

View more questions Search