Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    C.GAguy Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2012, 11:31 AM
    Security deed in Georgia
    Hello all.

I have a question, and I hoping to get some good solid advice on this.

My wife and I are separated, and moving towards divorce. Her name is not on the mortgage at all. However in serarching through all the paper work, we found that she had signed the security deed as a borrower. As I said her name is not anywhere on the mortgage paperwork or the loan.

She has requested that she wants her name off the deed. I have already filed a quit claim deed and had her name removed from the warranty deed.

Do I do the same process to reomove her from the security deed? She does not want anything to do with the house, nor does she want to be held responsible for the house or the loan on the house.

I have tried to contact a real estate attorney, the attorney will not give me answer without making an appointment, nor will they tell me how much their services will cost me. SO I am hoping that somebody here might know a quick answer.

Thanks so much for your time.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2012, 11:38 AM
    I'm not in Georgia; I'm in NY BUT the security deed is the collateral for the loan, against your house (real estate). The mortgage company/bank would have to approve a change.

You have both signed that you are legally responsible. In NY you cannot quick change or change title in any way without the consent of the mortgage company/bank.

FrChuck will know. He'll be around later.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 10, 2012, 11:16 PM
    A new security deed will have to be drawn up, If this ( first one was in error) since she did not sign loan papers, it may not be a issue, but the loan company will have to agree and sign a new one.

This is actually the first time I heard about this happening, and do not believe that the loan company can hold her liable, since she did not sign any of the actual loan documents.

Lisa , one of the real estate experts, may have more on this, I will try to PM her and see if she will come and give her opinon on it.

Whose attoreny did the closing papers, your attorney or the sellers attorney?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 11, 2012, 06:36 AM
    Well this one was a first for me. I had never heard of a security deed before. I did a little research and discovered that a security deed is basically the same thing as a deed of trust.

In this case I don't think that the security deed matters. Even though she is not listed as a borrower on the mortgage note the lender had her sign the security deed to make sure she transferred any rights she may have to the property if you do not make the loan payments. This is common with mortgages where one spouse may not be on the mortgage note but is required to sign the mortgage security instrument so they cannot prevent a foreclosure in the event of non-payment by the borrowing spouse.

So if your wife was not listed on the mortgage note as a borrower, then having her name on the security deed shouldn't matter to her or the lender. The lender does not lose any of its rights to the property when she transfers her share of ownership to you.

Jan 7, 2013, 04:06 PM
    Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to thank everyone for their advice.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2013, 04:12 PM
    Very few people come back to say thank you - your post made my day!

Jan 7, 2013, 04:22 PM
    Well, I believe everyone should say please and thank you, when a service or advice is offered or given.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 7, 2013, 04:57 PM
    Thanks for coming back! We really appreciate it!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 7, 2013, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    ... I did a little research and discovered that a security deed is basically the same thing as a deed of trust.
    A deed of trust, in turn, is a subsitute for a mortgage. So that doesn't make a lot of sense. The property is mortgaged as security for the OP's mortgage note, and at the same time conveyed to a trustee with power to sell in case of a default of the note?

But I agree with Lisa: it sounds like redundant security. Kind of like wearing a belt and suspenders at the same time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Georgia quit claim deed [ 1 Answers ]

In Georgia can I quitclaim 10% of my property to my daughter

When is quitclaim deed invalid Georgia [ 1 Answers ]

Can a quit claim deed in Georgia be considered invalid under grounds other than being signed under duress, threats, fraud, etc? I.e. if a lawyer prepared several quitclaim deeds to be signed and it contained 5 extra acres of land than what was intended to be transferred, can a lawyers error be...

Property deed laws in Georgia [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I discovered my organization in Georgia did not have a recorded warranty deed to property on land it has held meetings on for 86 years. What steps need to be taken to generate a warranty deed in its name? Can we generate affidavits of ownership to establish ownership to generate a...

Deed Recorded in Another County in Georgia [ 11 Answers ]

Because of poor credit, I signed a quitclaim so that refinancing can be done in my wife's name (I am no longer on mortgage or deed). We want to add my name back to the deed by quitclaim to joint tenancy. My wife is concerned that my name on the deed - not on the mortgage - may drag her credit...

View more questions Search