Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maceira Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2012, 10:50 AM
    What is the virginia electrical code number restricting a electrical box in a closet
    Need to now the code in virginia by number
    On the placement of a circuit box in a clooset
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2012, 11:27 AM
    Nec 110.26 Details the clearance requirements for panels...
    If by a closet you are describing a small space,
    No, you cannot locate a panel there.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2012, 02:52 AM
    Section 110.26 dictates working clearances of electrical equipment in general.

Section 240.24 (d) of the 2008 edition of the NEC is specific:

240.24 Location in or on Premises.
    (D) Not in Vicinity of Easily Ignitible Material. Overcurrent devices shall not be located in the vicinity of easily ignitible material, such as in clothes closets.

Check with the State of VA to learn which edition of the NEC is enforced, but the Code text cited will be the same.

Some states, such as Connecticut, will not allow panels under stairways also.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 11, 2012, 07:38 AM
    The current level of code in Virginia is the 2008 edition of the NEC,

Virginia uses the electrical code referenced in the current release of the Building Code. The current level of the Building os the 2010 edition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical closet light add on from previous owner [ 12 Answers ]

I'm putting light in a closet. Conduit is run. Fixture is in ceiling for closet light. Wires are run from ceiling fixture {blue and white} to switch. Wire is run from switch for closet light to a three way switch in another room for power. There are three wires leading in to the three way switch...

Electrical Panel location restriction, I.e. closet / storage room [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning to convert my garage into a bedroom and the location of the existing panel is where I would like a storage room / walk in closet to be. My question is how big does a room have to be to no longer be considered a closet? Could a storage room / closet combination still contain a panel...

Can I build a closet around an existing electrical panel [ 1 Answers ]

We are remodeling a house. At some point the panel was moved out of the basement to the first floor, outside wall. The previous home owners had the panel in the back of a bedroom closet. We have removed all of the walls and are building back a bedroom and bathroom. We would like to build a small...

What code applies to subfed panel in the electrical code [ 1 Answers ]

What section of the code (electrical) applies to subfed panels

View more questions Search