Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nillawafer88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2012, 09:44 AM
    Customers who get personal -- what to do?
    I always get asked personal questions.
    -"Why aren't you wearing a wedding ring?"
    -"When do you get off?"
    -"Is this your usual shift?"
    -"Do you have any kids?" then he proceeded to say how much he wanted kids, obviously hinting around and I politely told him , "Not something I'm interested in right now, have a nice day." and then walked away.
    One time a man reached across the counter to touch my hair, telling me how beautiful it was. I was so flipped out, I didn't know how to react, luckily my supervisor came to my rescue and kicked him out. I'd rather be completely ignored than to get this kind of attention from men old enough to be my father... or just anyone in general. I don't know why people think it's okay to be so intrusive. Do they feel like I have to answer them because they're the customer? I don't do anything for this sort of negative attention. I'm polite, I greet them, I do my job. It's called customer service, not flirting. I'm quiet and have a hard time being rude to people or speaking up, but it's infuriating. If I said what I really felt, I'd have been fired a long time ago. I don't even wear a nametag because I feel that my name is none of their business and has nothing to do with my job. If they do ask for my name, I give them a fake one. Believe me, the ones that ask, don't want my name to tell my boss how good or bad of an employee I am. I work the night shift, so I get a bunch of freaks. Different from the daytime freaks. I'm just tired of putting up with it. I don't want to say something to get in trouble, but I'd just like to know what to say so that I can end the conversation as politely as possible so that maybe they'd take a hint and leave me alone. Any advice?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2012, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nillawafer88 View Post
    I always get asked personal questions.
    -"Why aren't you wearing a wedding ring?"
    -"When do you get off?"
    -"Is this your usual shift?"
    -"Do you have any kids?" then he proceeded to say how much he wanted kids, obviously hinting around and I politely told him , "Not something I'm interested in right now, have a nice day." and then walked away.
    One time a man reached across the counter to touch my hair, telling me how beautiful it was. I was so flipped out, I didn't know how to react, luckily my supervisor came to my rescue and kicked him out. I'd rather be completely ignored than to get this kind of attention from men old enough to be my father... or just anyone in general. I don't know why people think it's okay to be so intrusive. Do they feel like I have to answer them because they're the customer? I don't do anything for this sort of negative attention. I'm polite, I greet them, I do my job. It's called customer service, not flirting. I'm quiet and have a hard time being rude to people or speaking up, but it's infuriating. If I said what I really felt, I'd have been fired a long time ago. I don't even wear a nametag because I feel that my name is none of their business and has nothing to do with my job. If they do ask for my name, I give them a fake one. Believe me, the ones that ask, don't want my name to tell my boss how good or bad of an employee I am. I work the night shift, so I get a bunch of freaks. Different from the daytime freaks. I'm just tired of putting up with it. I don't want to say something to get in trouble, but I'd just like to know what to say so that I can end the conversation as politely as possible so that maybe they'd take a hint and leave me alone. Any advice?

How about, "I'm sorry, but I'm required to keep all contact strictly business" and then go about what you are/were doing.

A man you just met hinted around that he'd like to have children with you? Beyong creepy - and sometimes being rude is the only way to end the conversation.

I have found saying, "Why do you ask?" also works.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 9, 2012, 10:06 AM
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of business is this?

My boss always told us we could use her name -- "My boss is watching me" or "My boss told me no personal conversation with patrons." We had to be nice to library patrons but discourage friendship attempts or moves into our personal space. That didn't stop one guy from reciting love poems to me or a woman from collapsing on the circulation desk countertop and sighing, "I just can't go on!"
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 9, 2012, 10:12 AM
    You obviously are attractive, and that must be difficult.
    When I was in my 20s and working in stores I had a few such encounters, but not much.

I would suggest a firm stare in the eye and say the next thing that pertains to the business transaction in a slightly louder voice. Maybe even slam the item on the counter just enough to draw attention from others, and then proceed in your normal voice.

Saying 'I am not interested right now' is polite, but it actually opens a thousand doors in the mind of some poor sap who goes home and dreams that 'not right now' means later. Any words can get re-interpreted and mis-interpreted. Many women lie about boyfriends and brothers picking them up after work, but even that isn't a good idea. The less said the better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Customers asking personal questions [ 7 Answers ]

I work in customer service and sometimes I get customer asking personal questions. I never know what to do : answer or nicely change the subject. I am there to help them and I get to ask them questions to find the best way to help... what am I supposed to do when I get personal questions from...

How to link personal Yahoo email to Outlook PST file on a personal computer [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to create an Outlook PST file on my personal home computer and somehow link that to my Yahoo email account? My home computer is not part of any network but I'd like to be able to save emails on my computer's hard drive rather than leaving them in folders within my Yahoo email...

Personal finance software without revealing personal information [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any personal finance software that doesn't require you to put in your personal information.I just need something that I can add and subtract on my own without giving all my personal information to a for profit corporation. I don't need a separate company to keep track of all my banking, I...

James can serve 10 customers in 5 minutes. Peter can serve 5 customers in 10 mintues. [ 3 Answers ]

James can serve 10 customers in 5 minutes. Peter can serve 5 customers in 10 mintues. Working together, how many customers can they serve in 30 minutes.

View more questions Search