Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Oct 9, 2012, 05:41 AM
    covering cold air return duct in bedroom
    Hey everyone, I have a question about covering a cold air return duct that is in one of my bedrooms. The air flows into the hallway but the duct itself protrudes into the bedroom. My son sleeps in there and I wanted to soundproof that so the sound of the furnace doesn't bother him as much. Also I wanted it to look nicer than looking at the steel duct. The problem is I wanted to try not to do it with 2x4 if I can help it because I have an outlet right there that it will block. Is there anything in the construction world that will accomplish this? I was hoping to stick insulation around the duct to soundproof it. Thanks.

Joe
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2012, 07:16 AM
    You can use duct wrap for the duct and drywall cornerbead. The problem is screwing the angle to the wall. As an alternate, why not build it out of 2X2 and move the outlet?

Oct 10, 2012, 11:25 AM
    Will the 2 x to be sturdy enough to hold sheetrock up?

What will the cornerbead option do? Sorry I'm not following.

if I move the outlet I think can just use 2 x 3 and sheetrock, then stick insulation inside. Whether I use 2 x 2 or 2 x 3, my most concern is that if I do this, will the insulation (bat) soundproof the noise or is there another route I should go?

Thanks for your help.
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2012, 11:38 AM
    Even a couple of dB will make a significant difference. Use 5/8 rock. For such a small space use 2 X 3 or side turned 2 x 4,that way the wall is 1 1/2" thick.

Oct 10, 2012, 11:46 AM
    What is dB?
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2012, 07:07 PM
    Sorry, that's my physics background speaking. DB is a decibel, a logarithmic measurement of sound. A couple of decibel reduction makes a big reduction in sound level.

Oct 11, 2012, 09:13 AM
    Gotcha, I wasn't thinking dB as sound. I thought it was a construction term. Mkes sense now. Would it wise to put regular insulation against the duct or should I use the wrap? I thought cost wise it would be cheaper. After looking at it, it's inevitable I have to move the outlet. No matter how I do it, there is only about 1 1/2 inches of play there. Even if I cut the plate a tad.
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2012, 10:19 AM
    You can wrap it with regular insulation. Moving the box over came be easy or hard. If there is enough wire, you should be able to move over an inch or so. Kill the power, tear out the old box-I usually let them drop to the floor cavity-use an old work box and fill the hole. As an alternative, possibly easier, install an old work box 3-4 inches down the wall, convert the old box to a junction box, run a new wire and cover the old box with a cover plate. Metal cover plates, used with utility boxes are smaller than the plastic ones. Lots of builders today, get more closet space by using a 2X2 for the plates and 2X3 turned sideways. It is not a bearing wall so lighter construction is fine. You can pick up 2" that way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold air from return ducts and main return duct not sucking in air [ 2 Answers ]

I had a new furnace installed. When the heat came on the furnace was screaming (making so much noise I could not sleep. I called the furnace company. The man came out and said the return duct in the crawl space was not connected and the furnace was not sucking in enough air. He supposedly made a...

Should a return cold air duct line be insulated [ 5 Answers ]

a 8 x 30 inch x 20 ft long cold air return line, hung from the floor joices... will insulateing it help.. it s in a non heated basement... tks... richard

Can flex duct be used for cold air return? [ 3 Answers ]

I have building out a wall in a bedroom to make a larger closet. The return is currently in the wall part of the wall that I need to tear out. Is it suitable to use flex duct to relocate the return to a different location?

Can I replace 12x8 cold air return duct with 12 inch flex duct in my basement? [ 2 Answers ]

I need head room in my basement and want to take down the old cold air return metal duct work 12x 8 and re-route to the plenum with 12"flex duct. Will this be a problem with the furnace working properly? Please advise

Cold return air duct [ 2 Answers ]

Because the egress windows from the basement will not be large enough for the fresh air requirement, I have to install a ventilation return duct from outside. How do I go about doing this? My local Lowe's only appeared to have exhausts, but no intakes. It also needs to be 6", so I can't modify a...

View more questions Search