Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DJM123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2012, 04:58 PM
    An adult with a 504 plan
    An elementary school teacher has a 504 plan because of a "scent" issue. (Scents supposedly cause her migraines). Can she force fellow co-workers to refrain from wearing perfumes, scented body washes, detergents, etc.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 8, 2012, 05:10 PM
    A co-worker had one. She asked us politely, but it could not be enforced. She had the right to leave places that bothered her breathing, for instance, offices and meetings. Here is some information on it:http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/civilrights/resources/factsheets/504.pdf
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 8, 2012, 05:30 PM
    In my kids school there's a lady that has this issue. Because of this a letter was sent to all staff, students and parents, asking that no perfumes or scented soaps be used during school.

Can they enforce it? No. It's just polite to keep this persons issue in mind and comply. Try to put yourself in her shoes.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Oct 8, 2012, 06:07 PM
    I am one of those people, I get very nauseated in the presence of air fresheners, cleaners, perfumes, etc.
    It can't be enforced that people not use these things, but the gesture to not expose them to it is very much appreciated.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 8, 2012, 07:27 PM
    The teacher may have some accommodations due to the American's with disability Act but I doubt the teacher has an actual 504 plan. Ask to see the plan she has filed with her employer. It is the employer who must follow any such plan if it exists.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adult 504 Plan [ 7 Answers ]

Can an adult have a 504 plan?

504 plan for adults? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a teacher in MA. I have had difficulty passing the Foundations of Reading test. I have multiple sclerosis and short term memory loss along with chronic fatigue. This makes it difficult to pass tests. Can the 504 plan help someone like me?

Can an adult get a 504 plan? [ 3 Answers ]

Can an adult get a 504 plan? A teacher friend of mind has high blood pressure which has proven to be drug resistant. Can she get a 504 plan requiring that she not be given a certain non-teaching duty that she presently has. This is a stressful duty that her doctor does not want her to continue...

Need 504 plan for grandson [ 23 Answers ]

I have several concerns and questions for those who are familiar with procedures in the TIER I, TIER II, and TIER III model. My grandson who now 9, was diagnosed at Medical Center with ADHD, ODD when he was 6. He was assessed as low to average in IQ. I believe he also has dyslexia but he is in...

View more questions Search