Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbj-adams Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2007, 05:48 PM
    1993 toyota camry won"t start
    My 1993 toyota camry was running great and all of a sudden it just quit running. My preliminary test indicates that it is not getting spark to the plugs. How do I test the distributor, ignition coil, igniter, cap & rotor, etc. It is a 4 cylinder engine
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Most Autozones can test the igniter and coil for free. Cap and rotor should be replaced every 60,000 miles.

Review sections A and B below--some of the information will be applicable to your car:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ics-46563.html
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2007, 03:29 PM
    I can give you the MOST LIKELY cause. It's the ign coil in the dist. And a little FYI, the primary, and secondary readings may seem fine, but it's still the most likely cause of no start with your discription. Some of them (after removing the protective cover) show a crack across the front of it. This is a classic sign. I recommend OEM parts on this one.
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbj-adams
    My 1993 toyota camry was running great and all of a sudden it just quit running. My preliminary test indicates that it is not getting spark to the plugs. How do I test the distributor, ignition coil, igniter, cap & rotor, etc.? It is a 4 cylinder engine
    Forgot to add, it's always possible the timing belt just quit. If the cam isn't turning, so is the dist=no spark. Once the dist cap is off, just give it a spin over to see if it's turning.
    dbj-adams Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 13, 2007, 10:41 PM
    Thanks a lot for the additional response. I took the distributor cap off, replaced the rotor and examined the cap for cracks etc. I turned the engine over and the rotor is turning so I determined that the timing belt hasn't sliped off or broken.
    rjmenges Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbj-adams
    My 1993 toyota camry was running great and all of a sudden it just quit running. My preliminary test indicates that it is not getting spark to the plugs. How do I test the distributor, ignition coil, igniter, cap & rotor, etc.? It is a 4 cylinder engine
    What was the problem? Did you ever find out why there was no spark?
    Thanks
    Randy
    mpreddig Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 04:23 PM
    Comment on kitch428's post
    I Googled our problem with our car not starting. This answer was dead on and husband was able to repair for $50. Thanks!
    frankone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2010, 12:46 AM
    I have the same problem. Toyota June 1993 4 cly coil under distributor cap. Engine just died. Checked plug lead and no spark. I've pulled the distributor cap off and check the rotor and cap and all looks OK. The rotor is turning so timing belt OK. There doesn't seem to be any power to the + side of coil - I put a test light on the + side of coil and no power with inginition on. I tried to run a live power lead to + side of coil but wire starts to heat up. Any ideas?
    jrod1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2011, 05:02 AM
    Sorry I've a somewhat similar problem on my 92' camry 4 cyl. When I first bought this car car it was a miricle it even started, I stopped at a nearby gas station to fill up the car and I get back in & the car would'nt start. So naturally I checked the connection @ battery terminals, there was so much corrosion on them I could'nt believe how I even got to store. Sorry, so to make a long story short I replaced battery & terminals & it worked great for a few days. I stopped @ the bank a few days later and getting back int car no start. I checked all my work and everything checked out OK, I tapped starter silanoid and it got me home. But next day I tried to start up and no sound when I turned the key. Door ding, yes all lights bright and shiny, horn, loud and clear, radio worked great, but nothing when key was turned to on position. So with key turned to the ON position, I took a test wire with alligator clips on both ends to starer, & connected one side to thick I'm assuming 4 ga. Battery lead direct from battery terminal to starter & the other end to blade on starter, that small wire from ignition switch connects to, and guess what happened after I did that. It started just fine so I assume my battery & connection to terminals is just fine. Also my starter works good or It would'nt start, right? So I came to the assumption that the problem now is my ignition switch. Does anyone else agree, or have another or maybe better suggestion as to why I get no response from my starter when key is turned to on position? I just don't know if I should change ignition switch or if anything else might cause this problem. Anyone got a response?
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2011, 09:11 AM

My first guess for you jrod, is the starter solenoid contacts internally in the starter.
    A good test would be rapid turns of the key to engage the starter but not enough to start. (very brief)
    You will get crank, crank, click, crank, click , click, crank, like that if the contacts are going bad.
    Hardly ever do we see ignition switch go bad.
    alexvicious Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2012, 09:34 AM
    I have a very similar problem in my wagon -.- fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, and coil have all been replaced (correctly) but I still cannot get a spark or signal at the fuel pump. Any ideas?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1993 toyota camry won"t start [ 2 Answers ]

My 1993 toyota camry was running great and all of a sudden it just quit running. My preliminary test indicates that it is not getting spark to the plugs. How do I test the distributor, ignition coil, igniter, cap & rotor, etc.

1990 Toyota Camry (wont start) [ 1 Answers ]

My 1990 Camery won't start! Ive had the battery checked and just put in a new starter because it tested bad. When I turn the key all the lights come on on the dash. It's a 5 speed and runs great if I get a push and start it that way. I'm not sure how to check the ingnition, but was told that it...

1996 toyota camry [ 2 Answers ]

I need to change the bulb in the left tail light of my 1996 Toyota camry. Can someone help me out with this, I do not have a manual and am sure it is very easy. Thanks

96 toyota camry stereo amp [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the amp located and how do I get to it?

View more questions Search