Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lanal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2012, 02:33 PM
    Anyone Able to tell me what ANY of these finds from backyard are?
    Please look at the attatchment... Im hoping somebody can answer what any of these are... Each were found a good 25 feet apart. One almost looks like a dagger, but I believe these are all made of cast Iron. I do understand cast Iron started around 1770 I believe??
    Attached Images

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 9, 2012, 04:03 AM
    Without having these pieces 'in hand' difficult to tell exactly what they are; they look like machinery parts. Possibly from old farm equipment ?

Oct 9, 2012, 04:29 AM
    I thought that until I saw they were all cast iron. I believe by this "farming" time they had converted to steel.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 9, 2012, 04:39 AM
    Farmers would not have been using steel in the l700s. Cast iron farm implement parts would have been in long use well into the early 1900s. In fact, they could be from earlier then mid l700s. Farmers could repair farm implements much easier with iron.

I don't see a 'dagger', I only see old parts.

If in doubt, take them to your nearest museum and have them identified.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 9, 2012, 05:07 AM
    I agree that those are probably from farm and other household objects.
    Cast iron started around 500 BC.
    Wrought iron much earlier, at least the Egyptians around 3,000 BC, or possibly earlier.
    Iron in general is mentioned regarding all sorts of objects in the Bible.

I found a WWI toy doughboy that was rusted about that much, so I could imagine that might be from the same time range give or take several years.

Oct 24, 2012, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I agree that those are probably from farm and other household objects.
    Cast iron started around 500 BC.
    Wrought iron much earlier, at least the Egyptians around 3,000 BC, or possibly earlier.
    Iron in general is mentioned regarding all sorts of objects in the Bible.

I found a WWI toy doughboy that was rusted about that much, so I could imagine that might be from the same time range give or take several years.
    Reply: Well that's actually not rust, just a bunch of dirt I couldn't scrape off
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2013, 12:02 PM
    They are farm parts. 2 pieces of a Horse or Mule shoe and the large middle piece is part of a sickle bar cutter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Backyard Fence [ 1 Answers ]

There was an existing "chain-link" fence on the property line. Then, years later, I decided to purhase a lattic-wooden fence. The new fence was place in front of the chain-line fence . As time went by I had not noticed the people on the block behind my property had removed the chain-link fence ...

Shed Backyard [ 4 Answers ]

I see 10x12 shed is a nightmare to put together. All the reviews state it was very difficult. There must be a shed that is fairly easy to install?

Parvo in backyard [ 3 Answers ]

We just moved here from germany with two dogs a one year old malimute and a 4 month old pit puppy. We are staying with family and they had a dog in the backyard before we got here who died of parvo and I was wondering how if my pups will get this disease and if so how soon will we notice any signs?...

View more questions Search