Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krysten Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2005, 05:15 PM
    92 honda civic won't start PLEASE HELP
    I live in LA and I have never had a problem. It has been raining non stop down pour for 17 days. Last night I went out and my car wouldn't start. It turns over but no fire. Battery seems fine. AAA came and got it started by adding fuel shaking it, I don't know what... He told me to keep it running, go get fuel cleaner and a full tank of gas. I did that and no problem. This morning I went out and same thing. It won't start. It turns over but that's as far as it goes. Tank is full. It's STILL raining.. What can it be? I have never had a problem. This is out of the blue. The last time I drove I (the night before last) and before all this happened it had never acted up or anything. It's a 92 with just under 85K. Please help

Update- I was able to push the car in a garage and out of the rain.

PS I am new and don't really know how to use this website.. If you could PLEASE email me
    [email protected]
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2005, 05:25 PM
    I am not that familiar with Hondas. Does it have a distributor and ignition wires? Older ones have trouble in high humidity. With a helper, even a kid, crank it over with the hood up in the dark garage. If there are blue sparks around the wires, they are bad. Replace them and maybe the distributor cap too. Even if it has the direct fire ignition system, the ignition module could be drawing damp and not working. If that doesn't work, post back.
    krysten Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2005, 05:32 PM
    There are no blue sparks. Do you think that heavy rain can cause this? It has never rained like this is LA so the car has never experienced these conditions. If so... will it dry out and work? Or is this serious damage.
    suvro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2005, 10:53 AM
    Hi krysten, I have a civic and a similar problem occurred to my civic. Because u've mentioned the heavy rain, I believe the humidity in the fuel injection is preventing the fuel to flow into the engine. To fix this you may go to your local garage or (the fuel injection is located near the feet of the passanger side of the car, the garage guy here told me holding a hair dryer or heater there for a bit helps to dry out the humid... it worked for me, this is common in older cars)

Hope this helps :)
    Waterbirddog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2005, 09:59 AM
    91 hatchback dx not starting (ASAP)
    It was running find until I got in the car and started it up and it started to fill like it starving for gas and it dies out couple of time trying to start the car. Now it doesn't start. Motor turns, main relay is OK I can hear the click and fuel pump working in the on position. I have good spark. Turn key on red light blinks once on the computer. Timing belt is good. Pour gas in carb and it runs great. I check under the back of car gas tank and found that it look like my kids ran over a rock and dented the gas tank in a inch a cross the tank but it still ran OK I think, until I discover the dent. I don't know if that will cause the problem. There's no leak from the tank. I went to check the fuel filter and unbolt the fuel line that goes to the filter and carberator. Turn car on hear fuel pump working no gas coming out from the gas lines. I have half tank gas in it. It's a nice car to go to work $26 to fill her up and I can get almost 450 miles. Great car. Will the problem be from the fuel filter to the gas tank. Where else can I check if fuel coming out when I turn on the car. Will it be by the gas tank. Can it be clogged. Help please
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

May 17, 2005, 03:06 PM
    If the car ran fine before the kids ran over a rock, and not running fine after - I would guess something is wrong with the tank. Try to remove the line from the fuel filter, point it to something that will not ignite the fuel once you crank the car, and crank it. If no gas is squirting out - problem is before the fuel filter.

It does seem like the only logical place for a problem to occur is - the tank or the lines from tank to the fuel filter.

----- EDIT -----

By the way... you're saying you have a 91 DX, then you mention a carburator. I believe the 91 Civic DX is fuel injected, but not having a fuel rail with 4 injectors, but 2 injectors (Duel Point Fuel Injection (DPFI) instead of Multi Point Fuel Injection (MPFI)). One way or another... if pouring gas in the intake solved your problem - I would believe that fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter is clogged or broken somewhere.
    fern Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2005, 09:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by krysten
    I live in LA and I have never had a problem. It has been raining non stop down pour for 17 days. Last night I went out and my car wouldn't start. It turns over but no fire. battery seems fine. AAA came and got it started by adding fuel shaking it, I don't know what... He told me to keep it running, go get fuel cleaner and a full tank of gas. I did that and no problem. This morning I went out and same thing. It wont start. It turns over but that's as far as it goes. Tank is full. It's STILL raining.. What can it be?? I have never had a problem. This is out of the blue. The last time I drove i (the night before last) and before all this happened it had never acted up or anything. Its a 92 with just under 85K. please help

update- I was able to push the car in a garage and out of the rain.

PS i am new and don't really know how to use this website.. If you could PLEASE email me
    [email protected]
    Sounds like you're getting moisture in the distributer assembly. You can try putting silicon to seal out water. Had the same problem, every time it rained the damn thing wouldn't start.
    Insanelycool Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2005, 03:24 PM
    I'm having a very similar problem... I've had problems starting my 92 honda civic off and on, although today is the first time in a month or more. I've been able to start it on humid days, and even rainy days.. but being out in north-east Texas, the humid weather is pretty common. Usually when I can't start the car it will start up and then die almost immediately (like its choked off), and then afterwards it won't turn over at all until I leave it sitting for an hour or so.

Jun 1, 2005, 04:32 AM
    Please read this thread and check instructions for checking your Main Relay - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=9924

Jun 1, 2005, 01:15 PM
    So I have to cut my passenger side carpet in order to check for error codes? I tried to get to it and I can't because the carpet is nicely attached and I can't "pull it up" easily at all... I didn't want to cut it unless I knew for sure... its under the passenger side in the 92 civic cx as well right?

Jun 1, 2005, 01:33 PM
    No, you don't have to cut. Just have to pull it towards the passenger seat. Take a look around a bit, see where a clip is that's holding it to something, and try to work it out. It shouldn't be hard really.

Jun 1, 2005, 07:30 PM
    Well, I think I'll need to pull out my passenger side seat, but I will try to remove the molding on the side of the car that's holding down the carpet on that side, but I'm not sure if that will be enough. I'll find out tomorrow.
    I went out this evening to see if it would start now that its cool out, and it started up right away. I hope I can figure out what is causing this and fix it without too much trouble.

Jun 2, 2005, 01:44 AM
    Ugh... no need to take the seat out man... I'll see if I can get a few pictures to show you where to look... but it sounds like your Main Relay is faulty. Just search for a Main Relay, take it out, resolder the joints, and it should be fine.

Jun 4, 2005, 02:40 AM
    I tried to pull up the carpet but I can't get much space to see under it since its attached to under the center console and under the passenger seat, even when I detach the panneling holding it to the side of the car. I'm going to check out the relay today to see if I can see any damage to it... I think I may have a problem with my fuel line... cause when I started my car yesterday to go to work it felt really lacking in power, like it wasn't getting much gas... but this could be the relay too I bet right, it isn't able to pressurize as much when as the tank gets low? Well anyway... I went to the gas station on my way to work, filled her up, and low and behold, I have trouble starting the car to leave the gas station. Kicked up and died a few times, before it finally let me get my butt to work. Its been fine since, but I haven't tried it after making a short trip... unless you count my lunch break... but I left the car for about 40 minutes or so... I'm definitely thinking it's the relay now... I just want to be sure, so I'm going to check it out...
    I also have a problem with my exhaust system getting a hole rusted in it, does anyone have any advice on what to do about that? Thanks for all the help by the way... I really appreciate it. Its been very helpful.

Jun 4, 2005, 03:47 AM
    I'm real busy these days and just don't have the time to take pictures. Just do the relay first, resolder it's joints and put it back.

As for the exhaust - exhaust shops should be able to make new pipes for you, even if you do not have to replace the mufflers.
    SleeperAJ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2005, 10:28 AM
    My 92 dx is possessed
    OK so I posed this question to CroCivic (thanks for the help then and I'm sure again) awhile back but new developments have required me to try this again... this is the situation.. I have a 92 dx (manual), I recently did a direct bolt-on swap from the d15B7 stock engine to a d15Z1 vtec engine (I used the dizzy from my 95 civic ex that I'd wrecked awhile back, other than that NOTHING else was changed except plugs and plug wires, I'm not even running the Vtec yet).. the problem is now I have some sort of electrical drain that is keeping my car from starting past three days of driving... originally I was told to check the main relay, alternator, and the starter I've done all these things... the alternator is fine (there is no check battery light).. the starter works (the car attempts to turn and will turn once the battery is recharged fully) and my mechanic tested the main relay and said it was fine... I'm getting really frustrated and this is beginning to drain my bank account... below is a list of problems that occur in sequence on the third day.. if anyone has ANY idea what could be causing this please help me... Thanks
    Stereo system will shut off and on
    Headlights will dim then go out altogether
    Car will sputter when idling
    Car will not start up without a jump (not even a push start works)
    DriverInPain Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2005, 06:52 PM
    Need some help from a wise person,

I have a 92 civic dx hatchback with a manual transmission that will not start. The engine won't crank. Nothing happens when I turn the key. I thought it could be the starter, so I removed it and tested it at a auto parts store, and it worked fine. I also checked the current from the battery to the starter, and that's fine too. I think the problem is somewhere in between the ignition switch and the starter, but I don't know where to begin looking...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2005, 07:24 PM
    Go to https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=9924

Scroll down a ways to my 4th paragraph where I start ""If it won't crank over... '' Some of Crocivic's Honda specific stuff may help too. Post back with the results. If the general procedures don't work, we will suggest other things.
    DriverInPain Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2005, 02:35 PM
    I don't think its my main relay, because when I try to crank it, nothing happens.. no crank, no spark. Not yet a pitiful try. I believe it is somewhere on the interlock relay or the neutral switch... but I can't find those. As for the error messages, I can find the red LED. I located the ECU, but I didn't see any bubble or hole for a LED to shine through.

Jun 28, 2005, 02:49 PM
    You are right, main relay has nothing to do with it.

Search the net for a picture of a 5th generation Honda Civic ECU.

Are the lights on the dash board very dimmed when you want to start it? Are you sure that your battery is OK? Do your headlights shine with full power when you turn them on, with the car NOT running?

To start a Honda, you have to push the clutch in. There is a "sensor" on the clutch pedal. See if current is passing through it, once you press the clutch in. If it's not, the sensor is bad. If current does pass, it's OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 Honda Civic won't Start Or Turnover [ 33 Answers ]

I have had this car for about 6 years. Shortly after we got it (6 years ago) we drove to California from Utah. In Reno when we stopped for gas (had been driving for a long time in the heat with AC blasting and temp gauge was near red when we stopped) and then went to start the car. Nothing, no...

1989 Honda civic won't start! ( No SPark) [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everybody, My name is Leeboy! I am building or finished building a 1989 Honda civic entry level stock car for my girlfriend. I took all interior parts out( I left all the original wiring and harness for at this level we have to have lights and keep everything in original order) and installed a...

1990 Honda Civic won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I am totally stumped with this, I have a 1990 Honda Civic with a 1989 Acura Integra Engine in it (Engine Swap), and it won't start. Nothing works, the lights, the radio, hazards, defogger absolutely nothing. Of course your thinking the battery is dead but I checked the battery and it...

84 Honda Civic won't Start? [ 3 Answers ]

I think the Battery terminals touched while I was fitting a new battery in & shorted out a fuse, but I can't find which 1 it blew, Can someone help me out here??

92 honda civic won't start [ 4 Answers ]

I was looking for a place I could find some answers to my problem... and I found this forum.. anyway.. My 92 honda civic has an interesting problem. At one point it would barely start.. thinking it was sparkplugs,wires,rotor.. I replaced them all.. seemed to work greatly.. lacking money at...

View more questions Search