Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gweet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2005, 04:46 PM
    "page cannot be displayed" Help!
    Need some help. We are connecting to the internet via cable modem. Probably something easy but for some reason when we double click on the internet explorer icon we receive a "Page cannot be displayed" message but the when I open my AOL account it connects??

SO the cable modem works fine when connecting using AOL but not when I try to access directly through internet explorer.

Help...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2005, 08:04 PM
    AOL adds some items in your computers network setup that will conflict with the cable modem service. Simply uninstalling all AOL software does not resolve the problem I'm afraid. You should probably call your cable tech support people as they may be able to walk you through removing the offending network setup and get your PC back on track to accept the cable modem service.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 11, 2005, 12:43 AM
    ... and after you get it working, don't reinstall AOL. :)
    Why are you using it anyway?
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 11, 2005, 03:00 PM
    Page cannot be displayed
    I too have a cable modem,but not with AOL installed.I use Firefox as my browser of choice,and Thunderbird as my email server.Contact your service provider to sort out the file glitch,because that is all it is.A few years ago the hibernation from AOL 7.0 to 8.0 caused problems on certain client pc's,especially when used with Internet Explorer.Obviously cable modems are not immune either. :D
    LindaE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2005, 03:17 PM
    I am also getting
    "The Page cannot be displayed " error

Only on one website.. www.shootsmarter.com

I am able to access all other websites just fine.

Any ideas on what I should check?

Thanks so much :)

Jan 12, 2005, 03:36 PM
    Page cannot be displayed
    Have a look in your Internet Explorer settings,off-line.Go to Tools-Internet Options-Advanced.Scroll down to Security Settings.Make sure that the two boxes are checked that say "Enable SSL2" and "Enable SSL3".
    They might already be checked,but it's worth a look.Why not forget Internet Explorer,and download Firefox 1.0 for free? It's far safer,and much more reliable!
    And no,I don't work for the company.
    I hope this bit of info.helped.
    Good luck. :D
    LindaE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2005, 03:43 PM
    Nez -
    Thanks for the reply. I did check those settings in IE and they are checked.

I downloaded Mozilla earlier today, and I get this message when I try to
    Access that site.

"The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.shootsmarter.com"

Any other ideas?

Thanks so much

Jan 12, 2005, 04:50 PM
    Page cannot be displayed
    I have visited the site in the url you name,using both Firefox,and IE.6.0,and both work fine.To me,there seems nothing wrong with the particular site.If I try to be clever,and minimise one browser to the taskbar,and open the site in the other browser,I can see "page cannot be displayed",but that is all.You can't see both browsers fully open at the same time.If I'm wrong,someone will let me know soon enough.
    Try adding some extension files in Mozilla,and see if that helps.On Firefox,Tools,followed by Extension,will lead you to the appropriate site page.This might not work,but give it a try.
    Obviously you have anti-virus software,spyware,and adware installed.Another thought,check your firewall settings.If your using XP,are you using Windows own,or have you got another firewall program.Could it be configured too high? Check the settings.
    If you can only fail to get to one site,it's always the one you want.
    Goodluck,
    Nez :)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2005, 07:13 AM
    Browser
    Hi,
    If you are using Internet Explorer, at the top at any website, click on Tools, then Internet Options.
    Click on the Programs tab.
    Left click (put a checkmark by) "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default.......".
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Jan 13, 2005, 07:53 AM
    Page cannot be displayed
    Just another thought I had.Use Firefox web browser,go to Tools,then Options.Third on the list should be web Features.Look at Block Pop Up Windows.If you have a tick in the box, you should, leave it alone,and go to allowed sites,and click open.Type in URL you were trying to get,in the space bar at the top,and then click okey at the bottom.Some sites refuse to do anything if you block their pop ups.Also in Tools,check your cookie settings,in Privacy.Click-on cookies,and you'l see allow sites to set cookies.Place a tick in the box.Below you'l see different settings for how long you want to keep cookies.I've got it set till Firefox closes.You can accept till cookies expire,or ask me every time.But I don't,it's personal choice.
    This might not solve your problem,but it's another option.
    Best wishes,
    Nez
    :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Page cannot be displayed [ 4 Answers ]

I am new to this thing called computer. I have been having trouble viewing web pages or even purchasing anything online. When I get to the checkout it tells me page cannot be displayed. When I try to use enternet explorer I get page cannot be displayed. I have checked browser and it is set on...

View more questions Search