Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sparton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2012, 06:23 AM
    L1-A visa tax
    I have been sponsored to the US via L1 visa. In case I will be paid in the foreign country, will I still be taxed in the US? Does it mean that my salary will be taxed in both the foreign company and the US?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 6, 2012, 07:04 AM
    If your salary is sourced from your home country, you will Not pay U.S. taxes for 2012 unless you gave met the Substantial Presence Test.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Oct 7, 2012, 03:52 PM
    ATE, you might want to reconsider this answer. Do you really think that U.S. tax is based on where the payment is made?
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 7, 2012, 05:03 PM
    Yes, if the non-resident worker has not yet met the Substantial Presence Test. In virtually EVERY tax treaty, if the worker is drawing his salary from his home country and he spends LESS than 183 days in the calendar year, his salary is tax-exempt from all federal taxes.

The STATE may have an argument that the salary is subject to STATE income taxes, but the case for tax exemption from the federal income and employment taxes is black letter treaty law.
    Tax Expert

Oct 7, 2012, 05:41 PM
    I didn't see that he was from a treaty country.
    Tax Expert

Oct 7, 2012, 05:41 PM
    Which treaty is it?
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 7, 2012, 09:28 PM
    I assumed it was India. Most L-1As that I deal with are from India.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file tax for newly married H1B visa holder and wife on H4 visa [ 1 Answers ]

I'm working in US for the past 3 years and I got married on OCT 19 in India. My wife came here on March in H4 Visa. Please help me in filing tax for H1 visa jointly with my wife.

B1 visa in 2009 and L1 visa in 2010 - tax return and refund? [ 1 Answers ]

I came in US first time on B1 visa (duration 05/17/2009 to 08/08/2009) Now I am in US since 07/18/2010. Does it conclude that I am a resident alien for 2010 tax filing? I have spouse, and a kid (2 years) as dependent. What will be my tax return?

UK resident on J1 visa in past, now on H1B visa. Tax payable? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I am a UK resident. I worked as a visiting professor for 18 months in 2002-3 on a J1 visa. I paid no US tax during that time. I did not file a tax return. I returned to the US this month on an H1B visa to work for a year as a visiting professor. What US tax do I have to pay? Thanks Grant

My 2008 tax questions (changed from F1 visa to H1 visa and also moved) [ 2 Answers ]

My wife came to US in 2001 and I came to US in September 2004. In 2007, both of us had income as students in California. We filed jointly as resident for 2007 tax since my husband was already a resident. In 2008, my wife was on OPT F1 visa first and later on H4 visa, dependent of me, and she...

Tax for F-1 visa on OPT with tax treaty, resident alien for tax purpose [ 2 Answers ]

HI--I have multiple "identities" with regard to tax: 1. I'm an F-1 visa holder 2. I'm on OPT from Sept.2007-Aug.2008 3. I have benefits of tax treaty, under which I can be exempted from federal taxes up to $5000 a year for wages, and unlimited amount for fellowship 4. I'm a resident alien for...

View more questions Search