Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 6, 2012, 06:01 AM
    Fair and balanced public education system
    Philadelphia student says teacher mocked her for wearing Romney shirt - Philly.com

Guess it is only OK, if it is the Democratic view point talked about in schools.
    I guess by controlling the teachers union you teach the kids only what you want them to know, so they will be your future voting block.

Makes me glad that we don't do public schools.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2012, 06:33 AM
    Yes, your entire school system sucks. We're happy with ours. Good luck.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2012, 06:40 AM
    Hello Padre:

I can't speak for that teacher, but she doesn't represent a liberal viewpoint. A true liberal invites ALL views.

excon
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 6, 2012, 08:11 PM
    One teacher can't represent all teachers. There are loonies on both sides.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2012, 04:55 AM
    In order to have a fair and balanced education system, you need to have an education system, not a work place ruled by teachers
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 7, 2012, 08:21 AM
    This is an insane situation and that teacher should have been removed right away pending further review.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 7, 2012, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    In order to have a fair and balanced education system, you need to have an education system, not a work place ruled by teachers
    So we should let the kids run the class room?

Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    This is an insane situation and that teacher should have been removed right away pending further review.
    Agreed!!
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2012, 05:07 PM
    Tal why would my comment elicit a ridiculous comment from you. No, the kids don't run the classrooms, that is the problem now, they know too much about their rights and not enough about anything else. The system needs to go back to teaching useful stuff equiping kids for the work force. What you have now is a workplace ruled by teachers, but this doesn't benefit the kids. Teachers need to be held accountable, fired if needs be, and certainly not allowed to display ridiculous or political attitudes
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2012, 01:33 AM
    rediculous
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2012, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Padre:

I can't speak for that teacher, but she doesn't represent a liberal viewpoint. A true liberal invites ALL views.

Excon
    Yeah right.

Liberals Admit to Discriminating Against Conservative Academicians

Ronald Bailey|Oct. 3, 2012 9:46 am

When social psychologist Jonathan Haidt famously polled his fellow academics for their political leanings at the 2011 convention of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology, only 3 hands out of a thousand were raised in response to his query about conservative leanings. Just three. As the New York Times reported:

“This is a statistically impossible lack of diversity," Dr. Haidt concluded.... "Anywhere in the world that social psychologists see women or minorities underrepresented by a factor of two or three, our minds jump to discrimination as the explanation,” said Dr. Haidt, who called himself a longtime liberal turned centrist. “But when we find out that conservatives are underrepresented among us by a factor of more than 100, suddenly everyone finds it quite easy to generate alternate explanations.”

Harvard University psychologist Daniel Gilbert very open-mindedly generated one such alternate explanation for the paucity of conservative social psychologists:

[L]iberals may be more interested in new ideas, more willing to work for peanuts, or just more intelligent, all of which may push them to pursue the academic life while deterring their conservative peers.

Well, yes that is one possibility. However, a new study, "Political Diversity in Social and Personality Psychology," by Dutch psychologists finds that overt discrimination against conservatives [PDF] likely plays a role. The researchers surveyed several hundred social psychologists, most of them American, and found that 6 percent identified as "overall conservative" - certainly better than 3 in a 1,000 but nowhere near being representative of the larger population. The researchers then ask:

Why, then, did Haidt have such difficulty finding more than a handful of conservative colleagues? The current results suggest one answer: Members of the conservative minority are reluctant to express their political beliefs publicly. Survey 2 shows why: Hostility toward and willingness to discriminate against conservatives is widespread. One in six respondents said that she or he would be somewhat (or more) inclined to discriminate against conservatives in inviting them for symposia or reviewing their work. One in four would discriminate in reviewing their grant applications. More than one in three would discriminate against them when making hiring decisions. Thus, willingness to discriminate is not limited to small decisions. In fact, it is strongest when it comes to the most important decisions, such as grant applications and hiring.

This hostile climate offers a simple explanation of why conservatives hide their political opinions from colleagues. Given that all academics depend on the opinions of their colleagues—who judge their papers, grants, and job applications—and given that such judgments are typically made by multiple reviewers (most of whom are liberal), this means that outspoken conservatives face a very serious problem. Hence, the more conservative respondents are, the more they hide their political opinions.
    Conservatives stay quiet (or stay out of academic psychology altogether) because they don't want the thundering herd of independent minds to stampede their careers into the dust.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2012, 06:35 AM
    Ah yes, the persecution complex again.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2012, 06:58 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

You guys don't know what liberal means, so it's not surprising that others don't either... I stand by my answer... A TRUE liberal is open to ALL viewpoints... Plus, we're extremely good dancers.

excon
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2012, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Ah yes, the persecution complex again.
    Ex made a claim, I countered with research. That's not a persecution complex, it's a facts-based response. Try and keep up.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 8, 2012, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    A TRUE liberal is open to ALL viewpoints... Plus, we're extremely good dancers.
    Dear excon:

All librarians in the world are true liberals, even the ones constrained by community voices to the contrary.

With great feeling,
    WG
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2012, 07:10 AM
    In the US do students go around screaming out their political affiliations? Because I have no idea what was political affiliation of any of my university friends.
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2012, 07:15 AM
    Yep, here's some amazing liberal dancers.

Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2012, 07:16 AM
    In the US do students go around screaming out their political affiliations? Because I have no idea what was political affiliation of any of my university friends.
    The kid wore a T-shirt. Try and keep up.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2012, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    The kid wore a T-shirt. Try and keep up.
    That's one kid. Easy with the condescending comments please.
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2012, 07:27 AM
    That's one kid. Easy with the condescending comments please.
    LOL, getting under your skin?

So who's screaming?
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2012, 07:43 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

Since you're painting with a broad brush, I suppose I could say ALL conservatives are science deniers like the two congressmen serving on the congressional science committee.

But, I wouldn't do that, because it would be STUPID.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Use a computer as a public address system [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I wonder if it is possible to use a computer by plugging a mike and seekers into it, and then use it as a public address system. Example: using a slide show and have your voice come through the speakers. Or when playing music to sing along through the speakers. If there is a program or a way...

Education system in USA [ 1 Answers ]

What is the new education rules in USA? I am a nepalese student and want to apply for undergraduate in biotechnology. So I want to know about the detail information about the full education system of America.

Budget for Pk-12 public education [ 0 Answers ]

What is the total budget expenden on pk-12 public schooling in the US

Foods to help maintain a healthy and balanced nervous system [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I suffer from anxiety and find it hard to eat because I do not have an appetite. This problem alone causes so many issues on its own but it does not help the anxiety either. I eat A lot of fruit, and yougart. Its challenging for my stomach to stand anything else, it is so weak. ...

View more questions Search