Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Jan 10, 2005, 10:52 AM
    Price for converting fuses to breakers
    I'm wondering if someone can give me a "rough" estimate on what I can expect to pay to have my fuse box converted to circuit breakers.

I already did some price research at HomeDepot and found a decently sixe Box for about $63 which includes the "guts".

Then I found matching breakers for about $5.00 each for either 15 or 20 amp. There is a line setup already for my dryer, but I have since changed my dryer to gas. My AC unit runs at 40 amp and my hot water heater is on 20's. I noticed two sets of wires going in to my AC fuses and traced on set to my air handler and another set goes to the compressor outside. I think it would be goo to separate them to different breakers.

I live in South Florida. If you repond, could you please also tell me where you are from so I can judge price differences?

Thanks a bunch!
    Attached Images

TOOL_5150 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 01:53 AM
    I just upgraded from a Square D to a Murray subpanel for a customer this past weekend. Their subpanel also was not grounded and had an over loaded circuit that needed to be split in half. I charged $2000 for the whole job. Im not sure what the prices are like in Florida, but In California, you should expect to spend $1000 - $2000 for a subpanel / fuse box upgrade.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 26, 2007, 07:38 AM
    I have a small company in South Florida. If you had the materials, My labor is still
    $80.00 per hour for electrical, Don't SEE more than 4 hours. Could see possibility of needing a larger feed.(Can always upgrade later, when funds available)
    You would want to separate anything "Doubled Up"
    Key Largo area.
    Licensed Fire/Burglar/Electrical Contractor/Integrator.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

17 1/2 hp mtd blows fuses [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my dad has an mtd 17 1/2 hp gear drive mower, just after he bought it, it started blowing the fuse. Warrentee took care of that one. That was six years ago, now its blowing fuses again. Replaced the fuse again, but then I installed wire loom on every wire I could get my hands on. The wires...

Switching fuses to breaker [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought my first home with my wife. The house has an old fusebox, which both my wife and I hate the thought of having to deal with. We want to switch over to a breaker box, but I have never done this before, so I have some info and some questions... First of all, is this something...

What's better; Fuses or Breakers [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking at replacing the service box in my home. The main reason is that coming off the service box are two other switches, one for the Air Conditioning unit and one for other lights in the house. So I would like to get everything in one box. The existing service is a 100 amp Fuse box. I...

Fuses blowing [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: My clothes dryer started blowing fuses. Since it was a 1964 model, we assumed it was on it's last legs and bought a new one. The new dryer is also starting to blow fuses. The dryer is on a separate fuse box from everything else. Nothing has changed where the dryer or fuse box was...

Fuses v breakers [ 3 Answers ]

thought I'd look on the web for this and I found this site. Here goes... my building was built in 1939 and has old cloth wire in it. My neighbors have all had their fuse boxes upgraded to circuit breakers, and since I recently fried a wire inside a conduit while hanging a fixture, I thought...

View more questions Search