Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annhmurray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Craftsman mower cord won't rewind
    My lawnmower has been outside for the winter. I tried to start it today and the pull cord
    Pulled all the way out and won't go back in. Needless to say I can't get it started. I took off the outer cover, rewound it awquardly through the interior casing, shot it with WD40, but
    It happened the next time I pulled it. Can you help?
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 10, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Is it a briiggs? If so they have what is called a starter clutch, the starter clutch will gum to the shaft and is located on the flwheel. It needs to be lubricated with a penetrant through the small hole in the top.

If it is not a briggs send more info

Don
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2007, 01:04 AM
    How old is it? And yes what brand engine...
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

May 25, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Newaukumdom:

I'm aware that a LOT of Briggs & Stratton engines, as well as other brands, have starters on top of the fly wheel. There are some exceptions though.

I had starter cord problems on my Briggs & Stratton and my pull start is definitely NOT located on the flywheel. Mine is located on the side of the engine adjacent to the air cleaner and uses gears that engage in the bottom edge of the flywheel when I pull the cord. The starter ASSEMBLY is held in place by a single bolt on the engine block that engages a slot in the starter assembly's center shaft.

WARNING to annhmurry:

Don't take the cover off the pull coil recoil spring if you can AT ALL avoid it. It's a real pain in the neck getting the spring back in place. Find out how to take the whole pulley/spring/cover assembly off the engine in one piece.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

May 25, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Yep, there are other designs but after 30 years of working in the OPE industry you can tell what kind by the description of the failure. It is a common description of the failure associated with a starter clutch.

Don
    AmandaLobb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2012, 04:48 PM
    I have a craftsman that's about 5 yr old that is doing the same thing. Any advice?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Riding Mower [ 6 Answers ]

I Have A Craftsman 11 Hp Riding Lawn Mower That Won't Even Crank.I Have A Good Battery Clean Posts,power To The Starter But When I Push Clutch In To Crank,nothing Happens.what Am I Doing Wrong?

Lawn Mower Replacement cord [ 3 Answers ]

How can I attach a replacement pull cord on a Murray push mower?

Craftsman mower won't disengage [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2004 craftsman 18 hp LT1000 lawn tractor with a 42" mowing deck. For some reason the mower will not disengage when I release the handle. I can get it to work sometimes if I slap the handle out of the slot quickly or if I raise the deck all the way up and bump it a little. I have cleaned...

Craftsman mower will not turn over [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 16 hp ridding mower model # 917-270670. All I hear is a clicking when I try to start the mower have replaced the battery and starter still will not start. Please anyone with any help I wouls appericated it. Thanks Mike

Broken lawn mower cord [ 4 Answers ]

I own a murray lawnmower with a briggs and stratton motor. The problem is my dogs chewed through the cord on it so I have to take apart the engine to fix it. Will I have to drain the fluids and how would I do that. I tried to get maintenance tips forn their website but there is nothing about...

View more questions Search