Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melisawilkey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2012, 02:56 PM
    Central AC unit will not turn on
    I have a Trane xr12 outside and Trane xr80 inside. 2 days ago it was working fine until we upped the degrees on the thermostat so the unit wouldn't continuously run.

Then it quit working.

We looked at the 5amp fuse inside and found it was blown. We replaced it.

At first the fan ran in the on position. Now, I can't get anything to work.

I have tried testing the thermostat with the R to G method. The fan does not turn on.

I have checked all breakers and they are fine.

The 5amp fuse is NOT blown now.

Any further suggestions?

I was following a Q/A and following it step for step until the lady was too afraid to go in the attic! So this is where I am stuck...

PLEASE HELP :) We live in Florida and it is still in the 90s here. Thanks...
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2012, 06:50 AM
    Yes, check to see if you have control voltage of 24-30 volts. If not, you burned out a transformer. This is usually caused by a shorted main contactor in the outside unit. It is the main relay that works on a coil that pulls it in. With your ohm meter check the ohms on the coil, which should be from 500-3000 ohms, if lower change it. Get one that will handle higher amps, so if you have one that is a 20 amp contactor go to a 30 or 40 amp one, etc. You will also have to change the transformer. Get one that is much larger with a pop-out circuit breaker on it. Also, check the other connections and wiring because sometimes you can have wires shorted out from a rat chewing on the t-stat wires which can melt them all together. In that case you will have to run new wires or find some good ones in the bundle, but changing the whole wire is best. You always disconnect the wires from a coil before checking it, and you check the wires going to the coil to see if they are shorted.
    Here are some wiring diagrams: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8010163/AC%...20Diagrams.zip
    Almost all AC units are wired the same.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central air unit is on but fan won't turn. [ 0 Answers ]

The fan in our central air unit is not working.Electric is getting to it but fan doesn't turn.. Blower works,blows warm air.Any suggestions on what it could be?

Central air unit won't turn on [ 1 Answers ]

Central air unit tries to turn on because I hear a click outside but it doesn't come on.

Central air unit will not turn on [ 2 Answers ]

My unit is about 14yrs old. We just had siding put up so the box was removed and then re-attached. The unit worked last night, however, when I came home tonight it was not working at all.I checked the circuit breakers (set and Rest), changed the batteries in my electronic thermostat. With a volt...

Central Air Unit will not turn on [ 4 Answers ]

My central air will not kick on. It definitely gets pwer as I can hear the motor trying but it does not go on. How can I fix that

Central Air unit will not turn on [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Coleman Cooler Central Air unit (It sits outside). I turned it on for the first time this year, but the outside unit will not turn on. My Gas furnace DOES push air through the vents, but its just warm-ish air, so I went outside to look at the central air unit and it's not doing anything...

View more questions Search