Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BAFFOUR Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2012, 09:31 AM
    Monitor
    My computer is running all right but there is nothing on the monitor. Can you help me please?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2012, 09:55 AM
    Check the monitor cabling. Otherwise the likely problem is a defective video card/chipset.

Oct 4, 2012, 12:33 PM
    Checked the monitor cable already. How can I check the video card to make sure its defective?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2012, 12:58 PM
    The only way is to swap it with another. Or to install that card in a known working system.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Oct 5, 2012, 07:20 PM
    If you at least get the boot menu before the screen goes black you can check in the bios to see if the monitor got reset to default. Sometimes the video will work in safe mode and the bios but not full resolution If the motherboard has onboard video as well as a card, you can remove the card and hook up to the motherboard instead to see what happens. That might also get you into the bios to reset to the card again. Don't just check the I/O cord, also check that the monitors power plug is fully seated. Once I had a monitor that wiggled the power cord loose enough to still show the little green light but not enough to power the screen. Since most lcd monitors plug in Upwards into the back, they can drop loose if moved around. You can also try reseating the card but you can't reseat onboard video.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 6, 2012, 07:32 AM
    Is anything displayed on your monitor when you try starting the computer? Are there any lights that are changing color?

Oct 8, 2012, 10:32 AM
    No please. Nothing is displayed. Just blank. I tried the monitor with another PC and it worked.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 8, 2012, 01:30 PM
    You have narrowed it down to a video card issue. Try swapping the card with a known good one or if you have onboard video just remove the card and try that.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Oct 10, 2012, 02:12 PM
    I had a PC that failed a bios flash and the onboard video or pci-e card would not work. I got nothing. Just for the heck of it, before I trashed the board, I put and old pci card in and was then able to get to the boot screen and reflash the bios from floppy (pci must have been default). I hate auto or internet bios flashes, they've screwed me three times now. Floppy flashes have never failed me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor colors faded (Monitor color problem) [ 5 Answers ]

I have an envision flat screen monitor and the issue is I had a worm on my computer so I had to reboot it.When the startup came up the colors were faded in a blueish light hue . I updated the drives but still nothing worked. I don't know if it's the monitor or vga cable or just the video card in...

Monitor works with DVI but when change to DFP monitor, it doesn't work! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre that works with a DVI monitor. There is a DFP output but when I try to use that with a regular monitor (I know it is good), I don't get any picture. I am not able to keep the DVI monitor. Any suggestions? Do I change something in bios or just get a cable the is dvi...

Pc monitor to apple mac version 10.4.10, I have a apple monitor already connrcted [ 2 Answers ]

I have a PC monitor that I need to connect to my apple mac 10.4.10. I already have my cinema screen mac monitor connected but want to create a dual monitor environment (for editing on final cut pro)... there are two montior ports at the back... both slightly different.. the free port is slightly...

I don't want a dual monitor, but I don't want to use my laptop monitor. [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect my desktop computer monitor onto my desktop replacement laptop and have it be the default monitor? I am currently using these two as a dual monitor, and have no use for the laptop screen. I want to just close it up, leave it on the side, and pretend I'm just using a desktop...

View more questions Search