Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheese_on_toast Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2012, 09:41 PM
    Before gold, silver and bronze medals, what did the Olympians get?
    Okay so I just learnt that the 1904 Olympics were the first Olympics in which gold, silver and bronze medals were awarded to olympians who got first second and third place. Before this, what were the first, second and third place olympians awarded? I mean in the modern olympics, NOT the ancient olympics (I am aware that in the ancient olympics, the champions were awarded an olive wreath.)

So what did the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place Olympians get awarded before the medals were brought in?

Cheers
    Roel Zylstra Posts: 84, Reputation: 14
    Tech entrepreneur, perpetual student,lover of life

Oct 8, 2012, 10:38 PM
    In 1896 "First place winners were awarded a silver medal, an olive branch and a diploma. Those in second place were given a copper medal, a branch of laurel and a diploma." - Athens 1896 Collection

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

White gold vs silver [ 8 Answers ]

How do you tell the difference between white gold and silver?

Engagement Ring: White gold, gold or silver? [ 2 Answers ]

What's recommended for An engagement ring White gold,gold or silver any advice?

US silver coin certtificate of 1923/ raised a mortgage on gold and silver treasury [ 1 Answers ]

I saw silver coin certificates of 1923. On it sys, Face Value: One Hundred Million The Certificate Raised a Mortgage on Gold Silver Treasury Jade Ware Valid Forever At Sight Pay To The Bearer.Is this real?

Gold and Silver [ 1 Answers ]

I saw on CNBC that gold and silver can go up in deflation times. I learned in school that gold and silver go up doing inflation when the dollar sinks. The experts on CNBC do not always explain themselves.Thanks in advance for the help.

View more questions Search