Scott,

Can you educate other forum moderators?:(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 14, 2007, 05:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by forreal
    Scott,

Can you educate other forum moderators?:(
    I don't think any of the mods here (or any any of the sites I frequent) need to be educated. As I said, I don't think anyone who operates a site is going to be totally unaware of this phenomenon. After all its been around for decades.

Before you join or participate in a site, check out their Terms of Service. If they don't have one, that's not a good sign. People need to be aware that a WEB site is NOT a fully public area. WEB sites are owned by individuals and companies. The site owner has the right to operate the site in any way they see fit as long as no illegal acts are committed.
    forreal Posts: 62, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Scott,

I'm not talking about this forum.I wish you or someone could go to other online messageboard and be a teacher on cyber bullying.

I just wanted to share this information to everyone and I hope more people enforce this new law but enforcing cybercrime takes patience and time.

"Writing annoying, anonymous online posts or e-mails could land you in jail for as long as two years. That's according to the Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act of 2005, which was signed into law last week."
    According to a section of the act, anyone who uses the Internet anonymously "with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass another person" can be tried for violating federal telecommunications law and face fines or jail.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 14, 2007, 11:46 AM
    We seem to be missing the WHOLE picture here.
    I just got an email from enotalone forum admin He just thumb his nose at my complain and told me in a nut shell go ahead and inform online authurities because he's not afraid.
    Now ALL mods and admins I have ever "met" wouldn't just respond in this manner unless there was more to a given situation.

So we've heard you're side of this story and that you where harressed and stalked, but without the entire picture it is very difficult to draw any concrete conclusons as to their, the other mods/admins, actions.

I have help to have a number of extremely unsavory characters removed from sites for similar activities, and I still do.

Now this kind of activity WILL NOT be tolerated here.
    If I ever hear of it, I'll deal with it swiftly and finally as will the other mods/admins of AMHD.

Mar 14, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Scott,

I'm not talking about this forum.I wish you or someone could go to other online messageboard and be a teacher on cyber bullying.

I just wanted to share this infromation to everyone and i hope more people enforce this new law but enforcing cybercrime takes patience and time.

"Writing annoying, anonymous online posts or e-mails could land you in jail for as long as two years. That's according to the Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act of 2005, which was signed into law last week."
    According to a section of the act, anyone who uses the Internet anonymously "with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass another person" can be tried for violating federal telecommunications law and face fines or jail.
    First, I barely have the time to keep up my Q&A activities so I'm not going to be able to carry on a campaign against this.

Second, I do thank you for bringing that law to my attention. Though, like many laws I doubt if we will ever see it enforced. There are several problems with it.

1) It applies only to US citizens
    2) It can be enforced only when the actions occur on a US based site or ISP or if the site operator is willing to cooperate with US law enforcement.
    3) No federal prosecutor is going to waste their time prosecuting a violation of this.

To prosecute they would have to subpeona the records of site to determine the IP of the perpetrator. Then they would have to subpeona the records of the ISP that issued the IP to identify the real person that used it. If either the site and/or the ISP is outside the US then they have no power to get that ID.

The only real impact this might have is it might force operators of US sites to tighten their TOS and take more notice of complaints least they be held liable under this statute.

Mar 14, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Scott,

We already have one man going to jail under this new law so everybody beware.The victim said it took a long time to get to the finish line but it was worth the trouble.

Mar 14, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Curlyben,

I understand you need to hear the other side but it still doesn't change the fact that I was cyber harrass on 2 messageboard and I never got any moderator support.
    I want people to know that these 2 boards (not askmehelpdesk) support cyberharrassment and if you speak out.The forum will give you wrongful violation and ban you. I want people to know about that new 2005 cyber law.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 05:02 PM
    Dude, you went to dating message boards and talked about your pride in your virginity, what did you expect? Are you aware that most people are there to hook up for sex eventually? That's like going to Bill O'Reilly's board and telling how liberal you are. If you go somewhere and post against the ideology of that board then I would expect you'd get some negative responses.

Mar 14, 2007, 10:37 PM
    Needkarma,

Why can't virgins be part of a dating or relationship advice board and I didn't know virgins couldn't talk about dating,relationship and sex.
    The 2 forums I'm talking about are not a dating messageboard but a relationship advice forum.This isn't liberal vs conservatives.
    Needkarma if what you're saying is true then I think those 2 messageboard need to say" no virgins on this forum"

Mar 15, 2007, 06:09 AM
    needkarma,

Why can't virgins be part of a dating or relationship advice board and I didn't know virgins couldn't talk about dating,relationship and sex.
    The 2 forums i'm talking about are not a dating messageboard but a relationship advice forum.This isn't liberal vs conservatives.
    needkarma if what you're saying is true then i think those 2 messageboard need to say" no virgins on this forum"
    I think you miss the point. Would you log onto Al Jazeera and start talking about Christianity? If you did, would you be surprised that you are flamed? Would you log onto a site for victims of the Holocaust and deny it happened and then be surprised you get harassed? While these are extreme examples, you have to show some sense about what you talk about. Look at the terms of service for this site and what it says about not allowing illegal activities. Then look at threads like this one:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/video-...tml#post196325
    And see the reaction.

I don't know the sites you had a bad experience with. I don't know what you said that caused the reaction you got. So I can't say whether it was deserved or not. But one has to use some sense when they post on these sites.

You cite someone who has been prosecuted under this law. Can you provide more details?

Mar 15, 2007, 06:27 PM
    I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on this topic but before I go.I don't mind nonvirgins disagreeing with the virginity issue but to harass/bully/stalk virgins online.It's a cybercrime. And you don't have to harass/bully/stalk a person to get your point across.

Mar 16, 2007, 04:08 AM
    I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on this topic but before i go.I don't mind nonvirgins disagreeing with the virginity issue but to harass/bully/stalk virgins online.It's a cybercrime. and you don't have to harass/bully/stalk a person to get your point across.
    First, lets get this stalking issue out of the way. Did anyone follow you to different sites? Even different boards on the same site to posts responses? If they did not follow you a different site, then there is no issue of cyberstalking.

Second, Flaming is a fact of life on the Net. It has been one from almost the very beginning. No one has ever found a way to stop it. The anonymity of the Net spurs people to do things they might not do in the "real" world. For flaming to approach the level of cybercrime would In my opinion take a long and concerted campaign of harassment. Before I would ever think of reporting such to law enforcement, it would have to include threats that go beyond cyberspace.

What I suspect happened to you was more flaming then real bullying and harassment. That's not to condone it or minimize it. But its really a matter of realizing that the jerks who flamed you are just that, jerks and really not worth your time to worry about.

Mar 19, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Scott

This is why I'm taking what happen to me(cyberharassment/bullying/stalking) seriuosly on enotalone.I got a violation from enotalone today for posting on this board.Hmmm, I see a member(s) on enotalone is following my every move AGAIN on another messageboard.Why?? I didn't know what I say or do on another board is enotalone mods business and I hope people take what happen to me seriuosly because cybercrimes is no joke.I don't think what some moderators/members on enotalone is doing is funny but because no bodily harm has come to my body. The law will be slow to respond to this cybercase.This is the reason why I'm trying to speak out on cyberharassment on messageboard
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Mar 19, 2007, 07:12 PM
    In my opinion (no offense to anyone), cyberbullying should definitely not be taken as seriously as any other harassment. It is your choice to turn on the computer and go to these sites. If you don't like the harassment, turn the computer off. TV is the same way. You can decide to listen and watch some crap on the TV or you can just turn it off. Of course, if a small child went to one of these sites, it's not their fault. They are completely innocent victims. But in that case, where is the parental guidance?
    Megg Posts: 421, Reputation: 53

Mar 19, 2007, 07:16 PM
    Worth I agree, however, AND I mean however, IF someone is cyberstalking you and asking werid question's or anything out of the ordinary. Do not talk to them anymore. Tell you parent's or someone you can trust to care. Go to the angel's site like someone mentioned. ALSO remember it is sooooo important to speak freely. In America we have freedom of speech. If your proud of being a virgin ( you should be proud) then don't let people try to make you feel werid for being one. Speak your mind. This day in age we need more people to voice their opinion's!

Mar 20, 2007, 05:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Raynefreak
    ALSO remember it is sooooo important to speak freely. In America we have freedom of speech.
    Umm what makes you think the freedom of speech applies here? You will find no stauncher advocate of freedom of speech than myself, but it doesn't apply here. Before you involke the First Amendment please make sure you understand what it says and means.

I got a violation from enotalone today for posting on this board.Hmmm, i see a member(s) on enotalone is following my every move AGAIN on another messageboard.
    Excuse me? You got a violation from enotalone TODAY? For posting on AMHD?

Why are you still posting there? We have told you to stop. If you haven't been posting and just got an e-mail, what do you expect. You have bad mouthed them on at least one other site. Did you think they wouldn't find out? Did you think they wouldn't retaliate? If I was a site owner I would regularly check to see if my site was being mentioned on other sites. Its not hard to do.

What do you care if they issue you a violation? They have already shown they play favorites. If you aren't going back there (and you shouldn't) then what does it matter?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 12:35 PM
    What's everyone opinion on online cyberharrasment,cyberstalking and cyber bulling.
    It is a terrible thing. Very distressful for the person being stalked.

I was a victim of cyberharrasment,bullying and stalking on 2 site loveshack and enotalone because i was a virgin and spoke about it. The moderator did nothing to my cyberharrassor but i was victimize. I even had a moderator say he didn't like me posting about virginity.
    I have seen the web site called enotalone. I see many people posting about the fact that they are a virgin. The administration seems to allow these posts. :confused:

I think it's time cybercriminal be stop but how.
    Yes, cybercrime should be stopped. Laws need to be created and put in place. Please visit this link for info on cyberstalking and cybercrimes. There are definitions in place and you can file a report.

Internet Safety: Cyber911 Emergency - Cyberstalking and Harassment

Good Luck!

Mar 20, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Ruby,

Virgins can post on enotalone but post about virginity and some members might harass you.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 03:59 PM
    I saw postings and animated discussions about both being a virgin, and virginity. I didn't see anyone harassing someone about virginity. Sorry. If you want to give me the link, I will look at it.

Mar 20, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Scott,

There is still an elephant in the room,Enotalone admin/moderator need to stop following people to other message board and focus on making sure cyberharrassment on their board is not a problem.The mods on that board can hand out violuation to people who complain about harassment all they want but the truth is we were harass.
    Scott, I was checking my pm and not posting on that board.I do not want to post on a board that support cyberharassment and silent people who speak out on this seriuos issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ambrotose for Stroke Victim [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've heard that Ambrotose will stimulate a person's own stem cells and that this could possibly help stroke victim's recovery. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Thanks, BB

Please help. I am a victim of fraud [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem. I found out that a fraudalent petition for my wife's immigrant visa was signed in my name. I gave no consent for the submission of the petition. My signature was forged. My wife and I were married April 1999. We separated December 2000. Ever since the separation we...

Victim of circumstances =( [ 2 Answers ]

I really can use some good advises here... I got a ticket for traffic violation on late November last yr. it was basically moving violation... I was only trying to avoid collision with two cars racing on freeway onlamp by beliefly entering the carpool lane. But with my luck, uniform had to be...

View more questions Search