Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoelBryant1960 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2012, 09:20 AM
    Boss told me to get mental therapy
    During a discussion with my boss about multiple projects and deadlines, she said that I looked stressed and should use the company EAP program to get therapy. Can she say that? It wasn't in an informal setting. It was a closed door, in her office meeting with me.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2012, 09:32 AM
    Sure they can... why would they not? They saw a problem, suggested something the company would pay for to resolve the problem to keep you around... they could have simply fired you over an attitude issue or stress they perceive.

And really... many places would rather do just that. They really don't even need a reason. Consider it a compliment they value you being there.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 2, 2012, 09:37 AM
    And thank her for saying that to you behind closed doors and not in the staff lounge in front of your colleagues. Yes, I agree she cares about you and wants you to stick around.

Now, what about therapy? Even just a few counseling sessions to relieve that stress?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 5, 2012, 11:44 AM
    I doubt she used the words 'mental therapy.' Therapy is often just counseling in ways to relieve stress and to deal with many problems throughout the day, and doesn't imply that someone has a psychiatric diagnosis.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 5, 2012, 07:12 PM
    Most likely while they can't force you into EAP, often if you don't, your job is at risk. While in the EAP program, at times you have some protection from job related issues due to that.

The are actually required to offer it to you, esp if the see future disipline issues coming from this. Your boss has now cleared the issue if you refuse this and they have to write you up or fire you. They offered the help.

This offer will most likely be documented in writing and a record keep of it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be prevented legally from socializing with my boss by the big boss? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been best friends with my boss for years and she then became the boss of our company which is under an umbrella of a bigger company. We and our families have been very close for many years and she has been my boss for 4 years. Recently she was told she is no longer allowed to socialize with...

Can you start therapy with a therapist when therapy has been terminated by them [ 1 Answers ]

I was in therapy with a therapist until today when she terminated therapy because she cannot trust me and so I am wondering does anyone know once I work on that stuff can I come back to this therapist or not she did not make that clear and I need to know. Thank you, Angela Sorenson

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

View more questions Search