Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amod767 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2012, 03:11 PM
    Sevis fee and opt
    Hi I am on F-1 visa and very close to graduating so I went to my DSO to apply for OPT. He asked me if I had paid the SEVIS fee -- which is the $200 fee you pay before applying for your visa. This was long time back in 2009 when I was applying for Spring 2010. I had applied to a bunch of schools and once I received my I-20 I applied for visa interview and paid my SEVIS fee under that school's SEVIS. After the visa interview I was granted the visa but the visa officer had advised me to get a new passport issued as my current passport was damaged. This took a while so I had to defer my acceptance in the 1st school and ask for my visa from another school on a different SEVIS and different I-20.

Now, my question is: If I have already paid the $200 fee under a different SEVIS do I have to pay the fee again because I was a continuing student under a different SEVIS? I read information on getting it transferred to another SEVIS. Can anyone help me out -- I do not want to lengthen this and wait around till my DSO gets back to me?

Thanks.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim child tax credit, daycare fee, tuition fee and mortgage interest? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm Canadian. I work in US but live in Canada. I commute to work everyday. I have two daughters: one is 11 years old and the other is 23, who is a graduate student in US. Both live with me. I filed 1040nr every year. My questions are: 1) Can I get child tax credit and deduct daycare fee for my...

Sevis termination on opt [ 0 Answers ]

I was an international student and I was on opt after completing my undergraduate in usa, But I left usa before my opt end date. I worked in USA just for 3 months after I got my EAD card. I have informed my school about my departure and the DSO terminated my SEVIS record as early withdrawal. Is it...

Prior work ex @ India-MS degree-F1/OPT-Resident of MA - Tax return for Tuttion fee? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, After my engineering college degree, I worked in India for about 2 years. Then, I came here to USA-MA by Aug 2007 with F1 visa. I invested my salaries for this education purpose(Master of Science Degree). I did my masters and I have alrady graduated by Aug 2008. I am still in MA with OPT...

Legal fee/filing fee as misc expense [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I and my husband intend to file joint return. We will itemize deductions. We have some H1 and employer based filing fee and attorney fee for our green card. Can I deduct that under misc. deductions ? Since it is employment based, it is not a "personal" legal fee. Which forms should I use...

Is it legal for TX apts to charge late fee PLUS concession fee? [ 2 Answers ]

I have lived in my apt complex going on 5 years. Last month I was late paying my rent a couple of days because I was out of town on business. When I got back and called to get the total amount due, it was an outrageously high amount of money. When I asked him to break down the charges, he said...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.