Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 1, 2012, 12:43 PM
    My Friend has a Question
    [My friend and neighbor asked me to post this question
    My husband was told he has less than six months to live last Nov.
    He at that time took short term disability from work then in June, we married, he changed it to long term disability which he may receive for 2 yrs. But when he dies that money will not be coming in to help me with the mortgage or any bill whatsoever.
    My question is, We live in the state of KS in Sumner Co. since he will not beable to ever go back to work and the cancer is now starting to take over. If my husband would retire would I receiver his pention after he dies?
    How long do we have to be married to receive his SS check as his widow?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2012, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    [My friend and neighbor asked me to post this question
    My husband was told he has less than six months to live last Nov.
    He at that time took short term disability from work then in June, we married, he changed it to long term disability which he may receive for 2 yrs. But when he dies that money will not be coming in to help me with the mortgage or any bill whatsoever.
    My question is, We live in the state of KS in Sumner Co. since he will not beable to ever go back to work and the cancer is now starting to take over. If my husband would retire would I receiver his pention after he dies?
    How long do we have to be married to receive his SS check as his widow?

First, please tell your friend how sorry and sympathetic I am. I was once in her shoes.

And I'll now address her directly.

I realize you didn't ask, but has he collected long or short term disability? There is often a clause about pre-existing conditions. My husband had a LOT of difficulty collecting both short and long term benefits on a private policy.

You would have to look at the terms of his pension. In most cases, yes, he can take his pension in at least two ways - the full payment to him now, benefits ending at his death; partial payment to him now, partial payment to you upon his death until your death. I have seen one or two pensions which also will pay a smaller amount to both of you now, the combination of the two to you when he passes, until your death. How are you listed on his pension plan? Which option did he (or will he) choose - or is another option available?

Widows receive SS benefits, irrespective of the length of the marriage (it's different if there's a divorce).

"The benefit amount is based on the earnings of the person who died. The more the worker paid into Social Security, the greater your benefits will be. Social Security uses the deceased worker's basic benefit amount and calculates what percentage survivors are entitled to. The percentage depends on the survivors' ages and relationship to the worker. If the person who died was receiving reduced benefits, your survivor's benefit is based on that amount. Here are the most typical situations:

•A widow or widower, at full retirement age or older, generally receives 100 percent of the worker's basic benefit amount;
    •A widow or widower, age 60 or older, but under full retirement age, receives about 71-99 percent of the worker's basic benefit amount; or
    •A widow or widower, any age, with a child younger than age 16, receives 75 percent of the worker's benefit amount." Survivors Benefits - Social Security Publication 05-10084

Your husband also is eligible to receive SS Disability benefits. I would suggest that you begin gathering the paperwork now with an eye for the future. I keep hearing how difficult it is to receive benefits BUT my late husband received benefits the first time he replied, within 5 weeks BUT he also had all of the paperwork, including Physicians' statements in perfect order.

And, again, I'm so sorry - it's difficult to watch someone you love suffer and have to think about finances at the same time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What question should I ask my friend to find out she is drepress , because she is.. [ 0 Answers ]

I meet my friend 3 years ago has a son and she is amazing but a little to calm but I love her , for the past couple of month been having panik attacks once or 2 time a week , crying , sleeping 24/7 sometime , just stop smoking like 5 month ago that was great so happy for her but now she is so sad...

My Friend has a Question for You. [ 6 Answers ]

I have a family friend that needs some legal advice. She is in a ,long term relationship with this man up North. She will be 62 and owns a home in Florida. He just found out he has six months to live. He has asked her to marry him. Here are her concerns. If I would marry him would I upon his...

Question from a christian friend and I want a logic answer for him [ 0 Answers ]

Surah 2:106 - "Whatever communications We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, We bring one better than it or like it. Do you not know that Allah has power over all things?" Surah 6:115 - "And the word of your Lord has been accomplished truly and justly; there is none who can change His words, and...

Question for a friend [ 1 Answers ]

Heyy I decided to ask this question about my friends situation because I really was wondering what other people thought. I am going through a similar experience as most of you know so I know only my point of view- I'm just wondering what other feedback I can get for her... here goes... My...

Question for wildcat about the 'friend zone' [ 6 Answers ]

Wildcat you always talk about not getting into the friend zone after a girl breaks up with you. However, in order to have any chance of getting her back you must be in her company so how is this achieved without getting oneself into the friend zone?

View more questions Search