Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shiva9782 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2012, 06:51 AM
    H1B - Gift Tax Question
    Hi,

I sent my parents (father's account) around 50K in 2011. I am trying to file the gift tax return and I have filed for an extension. I am currently on H1B. I was thinking that I don't owe any tax as this is well below the lifetime exemption. But, I am little confused now as I am not sure if I qualify as a resident for gitt tax purposes. For income tax purposes I am a resident alien. Does the same apply to gift tax? The instructions on 709 form are confusing. Can someone please explain what I should fill on line 7 for citizenship? This is all after tax money I have sent. I don't want to be taxed again. Please help.

Thanks,
    Shiva.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 07:59 AM
    Your residency status for income tax purposes also applies to the Gift Tax. Put "U.S. resident" on Line #7 of the Form 706.

OR you can hire me to prepare the return; email me at the email address in my profile if you are interested (if you cannot see the address below).
    Shiva9782 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2012, 09:46 AM
    Dear AtlantaTaxExpert,

Thanks. I have sent you an email.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Your residency status for income tax purposes also applies to the Gift Tax. Put "U.S. resident" on Line #7 of the Form 706.

OR you can hire me to prepare the return; email me at the email address in my profile if you are interested (if you cannot see the address below).
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 11:53 AM
    I have received and answered the email.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 06:57 PM
    "Your residency status for income tax purposes also applies to the Gift Tax." Untrue.
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 2, 2012, 04:48 AM
    IntlTax:

So it is your position that the OP does NOT have to file a gift tax return?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign SSN holder as gift donor tax question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm currently a H1B work permit holder in the States, and I'm looking into buying a house. My parents are not US citizens, and not resident of the States, and they are living in a my home country. However, they do hold SSN (acquired >10 years ago when they worked temporarily in the States)....

J1 to H1B Tax Question [ 2 Answers ]

I entered the USA in late 2009 on a J1 Visa. I worked for 18 months until my visa expired at the start of June 2011. At this point my H1B petition was being processed so I left my job technically was unempolyed for a total of 3 days until my H1B was petition was approved and I returned to work...

F1-H1B tax question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in the US since August 2002. I changed from F1 to H1 on Sept 1st in 2005. Which form should I use to fill my taxes? Also what how much would the standard deductions be? Does the US-India Treaty deduction come into play? If yes, how much is it this year? And what section should...

H1B (and/or F1) Tax question [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on F1 visa (Indian citizen). I've been working full time on my OPT since April'05 for a company and am expecting to get my H1B visas by mid January. That means that I've worked the entire 2005 on my OPT. So my question is when I file for tax returns for the year 2005, I will be...

View more questions Search