Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AdanChin Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2012, 01:31 AM
    statistics and standard deviations help
    hi, I have 2 assignment questions that I just cannot figure out. Is there a formula or something that I need to follow to complete those calculations? Can somebody just point me in the right direction? Not expecting any free answers, I just have absolutely no idea what to do.

(b) assume your sample “Sold Price” data were normally distributed, and calculate, using values from a Standard Normal table, how many “Sold Price” data items in your sample you would expect to be within -2.3 standard deviations and +2.3 standard deviations from the mean (i.e. within Z = -2.3 and Z = +2.3).

(c) By reference to your sorted “Sold Price” data in Task 3, and the mean and standard deviation from the Descriptive Statistics table of Task 4, manually count the number of “Sold Price” data between (Mean - 2.3standard deviations) and (Mean + 2.3standard deviations), and verify whether this count matches your answer to (b). Can you hence justify your normality assumption in (b)?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2012, 08:44 AM
    Do you understand how to use the z-table (normal distribution table)? If you don't, then it's near to impossible for you to solve the first question. And without the answer to the first question, the second question cannot be answered (but if you get that, it should be easy as it's simple counting and comparison of numbers).

The answer to (b) will depend on the z table that you were taught to use. There are 2 types of tables if I remember well (or perhaps 3), so it might be a bit difficult to explain how to use it if you don't know what kind of table you were given =/. The explanation could be the wrong one, and you will only get more confused.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1.5 standard deviations of the mean [ 0 Answers ]

Mean-1.43 Standard Dev-.06 Percetnage within 1.5 stan devs of mean? Prices within 1.5? Minimum percantage of 1.25 and 1.61?

1.5 standard deviations within the mean [ 3 Answers ]

All my professor gave me was what proportion of measurements from a normal distribution falls within 1.5 standard deviations of the mean. No mean value was given and I do not understand how to solve the question. He goes on to ask the same thing only for is more than 1.5 above the mean, is more...

What standard score represents 1.5 and 2 standard deviations below mean? [ 1 Answers ]

What standard score represents 1.5 and 2 standard deviations below mean?

Mean and Standard Deviations [ 1 Answers ]

Two Questions! 1. Stephan is really happy about his mark in research because he feels that he probably got the highest mark of the class. What can you say to Stephan, knowing that his score is 80 % the mean was 84 and the standard deviation was 2. Please explain the proportion or percentage of...

View more questions Search