Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    USandCanada Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2012, 08:41 PM
    US citizen in Canada with a Canadian spouse - Can I e-file?
    I am a US citizen with Canadian permanent resident status. I am living in Canada with my spouse who is a Canadian citizen. They have never lived, worked, or gone to school in the states, they have only ever visited. They do not have a SSN or ITIN and do not want to get one. I am attempting to file my 2011 taxes, I got an extension to October 15th, and I am having trouble when I go to e-file my return without anything in the SSN box for my spouse. Is it possible to e-file without an SSN or ITIN? If I am not able to e-file, what do I put in the SSN box when I go to mail in my returns? This is for both federal and a single state return.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Sep 30, 2012, 09:30 PM
    You cannot efile without an SSN/ITIN for your spouse.
    When you paper file your return, write "NRA" (non-resident alien) in the field.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 06:18 AM
    The procedure that TaxForaliens recommends works for the federal return and should work for the state return, but each state is different.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I am an American citizen living in Canada with my Canadian spouse, how do I file? [ 6 Answers ]

I tried to do my taxes using turbotax's online program but I can't seem to answer the questions correctly regarding our status as living at a foreign address, etc. The program keeps asking for my husbands SS number which he obviously doesn't have. Do I need to file using a different form or...

American citizen visiting in canada married to a canadian [ 1 Answers ]

I am a USA citizen. In Canada as a extended visitor until my immigration to Canada is complete with my wife a Canadian citizen. I have no income here in Canada. I do have a retirement pension from the USA and we have always filed "married filing jointly". Can I file the same from Canada?

Canadian citizen married to US citizen living in Canada, tax information [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My wife and I have lived in Canada since August 2008. She has not filed US tax returns since 2008 and I would like to have them filed prior to our move to the US by late 2011. I am a little lost on which forms to use. Here is how our current income breaks down. Wife (USC) - 2008...

Us Citizen Living in Canada, Married to a Canadian. Am I Single? [ 1 Answers ]

Im a Us Citizen Living in Canada Married to a Canadian how do I file my US taxes, Can I File as Single and if so do I even have to file if my personal income is less than the minimums? I earned under $7k in 2008 and did not file and this year I'm about the same. I am aware of the Foreign income...

Paying a Canadian citizen for sales in Canada? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to hire a Canadian sales rep to sell my product in Canada. Is that possible? How do I handle the taxes? We don't pay State Taxes in NH. Can I pay his salary in US and leave it up to him to handle his own taxes? How do handle his benefits? Please advise

View more questions Search