Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MM90 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2012, 07:59 PM
    Allergic to alcohol?
    I know this sounds crazy but I'm 22 and have been drinking since 18, (it's legal in Ireland) I used to drink half of litres of voda or just shots of everything I never drank beer just strong spirits, oh and id only drink every weekend with friends or every second weekend. Anyway I stopped drinking in April just settled down, I drank once in June just one pint of cider and a vodka mix, I couldn't finish the vodka and the next morning I was vomitting all day, then in September I drank at a party 3 vodkas tiny bit in it with orange, next day sick again. Then last night I went to the pub with my boyfriend family ordered a pint of cišer, didn't finish, got 2 cocktails, got sick after one, drank another I was fine. 2 hours later I vomitted twice again. I don't know what's changed but I can't drink my stomach feels like its closing when I drink alcohol! Considering what I used to drink.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2012, 08:35 PM
    Allergic? Just could be.

Sounds very much like a liver enzyme (ALDH*) isn't operating properly. That means that your body isn't breaking down the alcohol (phase II metabolism) and leaving a toxic residue (acetaldehyde) that causes you to become ill after drinking. Not common in us Irish folks but could occur.

My concern would be that while ALDH is genetically determined it's not generally variable or changeable. In other words wouldn't expect your tolerance for alcohol to diminish. Usually works in opposite direction.

Certainly not the only explanation for your condition yet seems prominent.

Acetaldehyde-dehydrogenase. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetaldehyde_dehydrogenase
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 30, 2012, 08:37 PM
    Could pregnancy be a possibility?

Sep 30, 2012, 08:51 PM
    Also no I'm 100% not pregnant
    Expert

Sep 30, 2012, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MM90 View Post
    Also no I'm 100% not pregnant
    Hmm, so you are a virgin?

Sep 30, 2012, 09:05 PM
    No but I use condoms with my boyfriend and I'm on the pill and got my period a week ago, also haven't had sex in a week so 100% haha
    Expert

Sep 30, 2012, 09:08 PM
    No but I use condoms with my boyfriend and I'm on the pill and got my period a week ago, also haven't had sex in a week so 100% haha
    This is also a common side effect of pregnancy. I got pregnant not once, but twice, using both the condom and the pill as directed. We have another member who got pregnant using the condom, pill, AND spermicide.

I don't know what haha has anything to do with it. There is NO form of birth control used alone or together that is 100% effective. So pregnancy is ALWAYS a possibility if you are having intercourse.

Sep 30, 2012, 09:13 PM
    I never thought I guess but I haven't been late, I thought I was fully protected with both contraceptives. But I've only been getting sick after alcohol, and haven't gained weight or anything
    Expert

Sep 30, 2012, 09:15 PM
    I never thought I guess but I haven't been late, I thought I was fully protected with both contraceptives. But iv only been getting sick after alcohol, and haven't gained weight or anything
    I went through the same experience you are right now and my daughter is now 18, that's why I suggested this. It was just some food for thought.

Remember that the only 100% effective form of birth control is abstinence.

Sep 30, 2012, 09:17 PM
    Well thanks a lot I might go to my doctor and explain and ask her to give me a pregnancy test
    Expert

Sep 30, 2012, 09:17 PM
    haven't gained weight or anything
    Most girls don't gain weight until at least 16 weeks. Many gals even tend to lose weight the first trimester or two.

Sep 30, 2012, 09:18 PM
    Is it possible to still get regular Periods?
    Expert

Sep 30, 2012, 09:19 PM
    It would be too early for a pregnancy test at this point. You need to see if you have a period next month. Most likely you would get a false negative if you are pregnant.

For now, avoid alcohol and wait until you are due for your next period.
    Expert

Sep 30, 2012, 09:20 PM
    Is it possible to still get regular Periods?
    It all depends on when/if you are pregnant. Many women do bleed in early pregnancy leading them to believe it is a period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will 4 grams of alcohol sugar fail alcohol urine test [ 2 Answers ]

I drank a energy and I noticed afterwards that it had a content of 4 grams of alcohol sugar.. will it be detected in my urine test this morning..

Once allergic to alcohol, but not anymore? [ 0 Answers ]

I've had what amounts to an allergic reaction anytime I drank anything with alcohol in it. It didn't matter what type of liquor it was or how much, I would break out in a bright red rash that would itch and feel hot to the touch (or at least to me). That is, until Monday when I tried a glass of...

View more questions Search