Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    livinginMaine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2012, 12:17 PM
    Gift from my parents in UK - tax implications?
    My parents have recently sold their house in the UK and want to give my wife and I a gift totaling 50k GBP (currently approx $80k USD!). What is the best way for them to make this gift - one lump sum wire transfer or smaller annual gifts? Or would it be more beneficial to have them make the gift into my UK bank account and then transfer it from there? My parents are not US citizens or residents. I have not declared my UK bank account to the IRS. Many thanks for your advice.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 30, 2012, 01:53 PM
    Have them transfer the money from THEIR U.K. bank account to your United States account. Do NOT put the money in any account in your name in the United Kingdom, because doing so WILL make you liable to submit an FBAR and could require reporting under FATCA.

The FBAR is required if the U.K. account exceeds $10,000 at ANY time in the calendar year.

There are no transfer taxes and no gift taxes because your parents are NOT U.S. citizens.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 07:02 PM
    One lump sum wire transfer is best. If your UK account is over 10k, you should report it on the FBAR. Some advisers are concerned that a gift to a US account might trigger US gift tax.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Oct 1, 2012, 08:09 PM
    IntlTax:
    As the parents are not US citizens or residents, there would not be the need for a gift tax return as that doesn't apply to them.
    The only form that might come into play is form 3520 (if the gift is more than $100000)
    Tax Expert

Oct 4, 2012, 05:49 PM
    Nonresident aliens can be subject to US gift tax if the property is tangible property situated in the US.
    livinginMaine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2012, 07:55 PM
    Thank you all very much for the advice! I am going to organize the transfer as soon add the exchange rate is at a decent level. As I understand it, I should not have to file any paperwork as long as they do not give me more than 100k USD. I'm going to work on the basis that transferring funds into a US account is not generally regarded as 'tangible property'.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 4, 2012, 08:07 PM
    Correct! Monetary funds are NOT tangible property!
    Tax Expert

Oct 7, 2012, 05:05 AM
    I guess it depends on what type of "monetary funds" your are referring to. The IRS has concluded that some types of monetary funds are tangible property. Thus, the risk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"In Trust For" bank account -Gift tax implications [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any gift tax implications for creating,funding and/or withdrawing funds from an "In Trust For" (ITF) bank account . Are there special rules for an account in New York State ?

Tax on gift from Parents [ 2 Answers ]

Hello My parents wish to send some money from India to help me make a downpayment on a property. How would I have to declare this, if I need to? I understand there is a 12K limit per year per person, so if they wer to give me 12K and my 12K, would we have to file taxes separately or would...

Overseas Cash Gift for Escrow? Tax implications? [ 3 Answers ]

If I (US citizen) am receiving a cash gift from a non US resident/citizen, the transfer is made in foreign bank account to my foreign bank account. Then I use that amount as downpayment on a house, sent directly from my foreign bank account to the escrow company. Is there any tax complications? ...

UK gift to US Citzen tax implications [ 2 Answers ]

I am UK resident/citizen and wish to gift a US resident, a large cash gift as part of an early inheritance on my estate before I die - will the US resident be liable for tax on this in the states as it is a gift from the UK? Thanks

Parents house is paid off - what are the tax/financial implications for deed transfer [ 1 Answers ]

My father recently passed away and my mother wants to transfer the deed to their house over to me. The house is fully paid off and I was wondering if we did transfer the deed, would there be any financial implications, i.e. would this be considered a gift and if so, what would the tax implications...

View more questions Search