Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jessica Impett Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2012, 12:22 AM
    When should I feed my newborn rabbits?
    My rabbit gave literately 30 minutes ago I left her with them to how she goes, but when I went back 2 were dead and the others cold but alive. So I took them into the house and I have put some shredded paper, straw and a nice warm towel in a medium sized box. There now warm and things but I don't know how to feed them. My friend said you can hold the mother on her back and put a baby (one at a time)on a teat for it to drink. I tried it but the mother just flipped and went crazy, so how and when should I feed my babies? ( there's 5 of them left and they are english cross a small one / don't know her breed)
    Jessica Impett Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2012, 12:31 AM
    What should I do with my newborn rabbits?
    My rabbit gave birth literally 35 minutes ago and I left her with them to see how she goes but when I next checked on then 2 were unfortunately dead and the others cold but alive. So I took them in and put them in a box full of shredded paper in a donut shape (as the base) a towel on the bottom for a bedding and also straw for bedding too, I also had taken some of her fur to keep her scent on them. My friend said you can feed them by holding the mother on her back and putting one baby at a time on a teat for it to drink, but when we tried that she flipped and went crazy, so now I need to know another way on how to feed them. PLEASE HELP MEEE!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2012, 08:40 AM
    Unfortunately your biggest mistake was in checking how many kits were born... Your second was moving them. You really need to not disturb the mother and kits whatsoever, especially if the mother is very protective. Even opening the nesting box to check on them can cause some mothers to abandon the kits.

How are you trying to flip the mother onto her back. You need to do it very slowly and completely support her body weight and hold her tightly against you. Remember, rabbits are prey animals and see being held or turned over as a threat so you need to make them feel very secure.

I would personally be consulting your vet about what to do with the remaining kits, they can advise you on feeding and care. For now they can be given Kitten replacement formula (available at vets and pet stores) from an eye-dropper of slow feed nip on a bottle.

There are also sites such as this one that may be of help: How To Care For Newborn Baby Rabbits
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Oct 25, 2012, 09:35 AM
    Keep in mind also that a fitful, struggling rabbit is at risk for a broken back.
    Holding her down to let the kits nurse may be a dangerous thing to do.
    I would take Shaz advice and get them to the vet and have them instruct you on further care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What age to feed newborn jack rusell puppies? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, my ***** has had her first litter of jack sussell pups they are now18 days old, what age would you recommend starting to feed them?? One already licking the mothers bowl of chicken!

Rights of a newborn baby can the father refuse to give the newborn back [ 3 Answers ]

A teenage who is 17 just had a baby and the father who is 16 is trying to take the newborn who is 5 days old.Can he do that

Can a 2nd sub panel be feed from same feed as first? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 200A main box out on a pole in the yard. I trenched and ran 4/0 aluminum to fee the subpanel on the house. Sadly I installed a smallish box and now I am out of breaker slots (too many 240's... ) Can I tap off the feed from the main box and run it to another subpanel or do I have to install...

Rabbits - outside or in? [ 4 Answers ]

My dad has just bought two rabbits or my son but I am unsure whether they should be outside or not please help. I have two german shepherds too.

View more questions Search