Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qtbuy07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2012, 09:48 PM
    Chemistry Help
    Assume that if iodine is allowed to migrate freely between equal volumes of water and kerosene, 90% of it will end up in the kerosene and 10% in the water. If you started with 1.0g of iodine total in the water layer, and extracted with an equal volume of kerosene, how much iodine would remain in the water?

If you then discard the kerosene layer and extracted with another equal volue of fresh kerosene, how much iodine would be left in the water?

What total percent of the iodine was removed from the water?

For the first part I thought 0.1 g of iodine will remain in the water since 10% of iodine is in the water. But I don't know if that is right or even how to solve the other parts
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2012, 10:07 AM
    You guessed right! You will have 0.1 g of iodine in water and 0.9 g of it in kerosene.

And you work the same way with the next extraction. Could you try it out?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chemistry Help [ 1 Answers ]

50.5 mL of 1.74 M perchloric acid is added to 37.9 mL of calcium hydroxide, and the resulting solution is found to be acidic. 25.9 mL of 2.71 M sodium hydroxide is required to reach neutrality. What is the molarity of the original calcium hydroxide solution?

Chemistry question about Organic Chemistry [ 9 Answers ]

Could you explain to me why I ended up with two marks out of a possible 6 in these questions? I think that I answered them correctly but I am not sure so I would like your help so that then I may tell my instructor.

Chemistry [ 1 Answers ]

What mass of carbon dioxide could be formed from the reaction of 16 grams of meathane with 32 grams of oxygen?

Chemistry [ 1 Answers ]

Given the name of a binary molecular compound, describe how to write its formula. Use carbon tetrachloride As an example. :confused:

View more questions Search