Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maricor Tano Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2012, 09:25 PM
    Are Single Speed Bicycles Effective in Traffic than Multi Gear Bicycles?
    I am planning to buy a bike to carry me to my work. What do you think is best in traffic? The single speed or multi gear?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 29, 2012, 10:28 PM
    What type of traffic/environment/distance? I haven't ridden a single speed extensively, but I can't imagine using one anywhere except a flat slow speed urban environment. I live in a hilly and mountainous area and my road bike has a small third "granny gear" front sprocket for steep hills as well as a larger large sprocket which helps pedaling down hills. Selecting gearing that allows for maintaining a comfortable pedal cadence is less tiring than pumping up inclines in too high a gear.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2012, 07:16 AM
    Buy a single speed bike that thieves are less likely to steal.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 30, 2012, 08:39 AM
    I would suggest a multi-speed. The reason is that starting from a stop on a single speed may cause some wobbling. Which you don't want in traffic. If you shift down when you stop it will be easier to get going again.

Also, the terrain you will be riding through may make a difference.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2012, 10:22 AM
    One of the many inventions with which Leonardo da Vinci is credited is the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). They are now being adapted to bicycles by a company in Texas. You might want to check them out, if you have the ability to securely store the bike.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I get a variable speed air handler or single speed? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking into getting a new heating unit - I'm looking at 2 options - the single speed - standard model - and the 2 stage variable speed model- it's a little over a $1,000 difference - but I keep hearing about the variable being worth it - I have a single story home 3 bedroom - I'm adding...

Film title about bicycles and relationship between some sisters (70s/80s film) [ 2 Answers ]

Really trying to find out the title of a film / movie from the 70s or 80s. All I can remember is that there were these 2 young sisters in a family, I think they were crazy about wanting a bicycle or something. And I vaguely remember something about someone (perhaps one of the sisters) stealing the...

Multi-speed fan rewiring [ 6 Answers ]

Our house has somewhat high humidity in the winter and I have heard running the furnace fan 24/7 can be helpful to keep the moisture down. Now, looking at what I have - the blower has a four speed motor. All wires are connected to the control unit. Is it as simple as wiring in a manual switch...

View more questions Search