Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Saundrella Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Sep 29, 2012, 08:50 PM
    Best method for gluing a "slip coupling" or "repair coupling"
    We need to use an ABS "slip coupling" (repair coupling) on a 3" diameter ABS pipe. What is the best method of gluing this coupling since, for those of you who are familiar with this procedure, the cement can only be applied to the outside of the 3" pipe and not the inside of the slip coupling. We have been told "time is of the essence" and when the coupling is slid into place, the glue on the outside of the 3" pipe is pushed down with it. Our question for the professionals: How do we avoid the possibility of ending up with a bad joint?

Saundra & Donald Singh
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 29, 2012, 11:24 PM
    It's just so easy that I don't see any problems. Spend 30 seconds removing burrs (you don't want waste like hair and food catching on them). Apply pipe cleaner. Apply the glue all the way around in a quick swirl on each half, no finesse required. Slip the coupling up the pipe. Done.
    And I'm just a DIYer.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 30, 2012, 06:41 AM
    Gluing on a slip coupling sounds like a unnecessary hassle to me when you can do the same thing with a shielded coupling, (see image) Why do things the hard way when there's a easier way available? Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Sep 30, 2012, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Gluing on a slip coupling sounds like a unnecessary hassle to me when you can do the same thing with a shielded coupling, (see image) Why do things the hard way when there's a easier way available? Good luck, Tom
    Speedball1, we checked with the city inspector (Apple Valley, MN) and he was not comfortable with the flexible coupling, preferred the slip coupling.

DIYer, you give us hope it'll be okay. We are nervous because we've never done it before and feel there's no room for mistakes. Once it's done, it's done. It's either done well, or not. If you get my drift... :o) I told my husband if we just smooth some glue around the top and bottom edges once the coupling is slipped down and glued into place, it'll look like it's glued on perfectly.

Saundra
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 30, 2012, 03:48 PM
    he was not comfortable with the flexible coupling,
    You told them you wanted to use a FLEXIBLE coupling? I would have turned you down myself. I suggested a METAL SHIELDED coupling and I have plumbed entire condo buildings using those. I don't use nor do I advise using rubber couplings.
    But if you're going to use a slip coupling be sure to use Purple Primer or you'll be doing the job over. Good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 05:10 AM
    Hi Saundra

You are correct when you say that, "time is of the essence" with slip couplings. I completely disagree with Joypulv when she suggests that this is a simple job... it isn't! Clearly she has never worked with them and shouldn't be giving advice on them... especially 3" or larger slip couplings!

Having installed 25-30 of these I can tell you that in most cases they go in pretty hard, and there are many times where the friction of the coupling against the pipe creates a real problem sliding the slip coupling down and in place. So, to answer your question, "What is the best method of gluing this coupling... "? To cement these couplings properly you do the following:

First, make marks on the pipes where you want the coupling to end up.

Second, prime the coupling and then slide that up the pipe above the mark on one pipe.

Third, prime and cement both pipe ends generously.

Fourth, slide the coupling down and into place until you reach the marks on the pipe. Here, you will probably meet a great deal of reisistance and in this case you will need to have a 12-15" piece of 2"x4" wood and you will want to hammer one edge of the coupling using this 2"x4" to finish sliding the coupling into place.

Finally, apply a generous bead of cement at the top and bottom of the coupling by using the cement brush to push the cement into the rim of the coupling.

That's how you install a slip coupling!

However, with that being said, as Tom pointed out, a SHIELDED CLAMP is the easiest way to go! I see no reason your inspector could frown on these as they are code approved as long as you purchase a PVC x PVC shielded clamp!

Good luck!

Mark

Oct 1, 2012, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Saundra

You are correct when you say that, "time is of the essence" with slip couplings. I completely disagree with Joypulv when she suggests that this is a simple job...it isn't! Clearly she has never worked with them and shouldn't be giving advise on them...especially 3" or larger slip couplings!

Having installed 25-30 of these I can tell you that in most cases they go in pretty hard, and there are many times where the friction of the coupling against the pipe creates a real problem sliding the slip coupling down and in place. So, to answer your question, "What is the best method of gluing this coupling..."? To cement these couplings properly you do the following:

First, make marks on the pipes where you want the coupling to end up.

Second, prime the coupling and then slide that up the pipe above the mark on one pipe.

Third, prime and cement both pipe ends generously.

Fourth, slide the coupling down and into place until you reach the marks on the pipe. Here, you will probably meet a great deal of reisistance and in this case you will need to have a 12-15" piece of 2"x4" wood and you will want to hammer one edge of the coupling using this 2"x4" to finish sliding the coupling into place.

Finally, apply a generous bead of cement at the top and bottom of the coupling by using the cement brush to push the cement into the rim of the coupling.

That's how you install a slip coupling!

However, with that being said, as Tom pointed out, a SHIELDED CLAMP is the easiest way to go! I see no reason your inspector could frown on these as they are code approved as long as you purchase a PVC x PVC shielded clamp!

Good luck!

Mark
    Mark, your detailed directions are REALLY HELPFUL! I just found out from my husband he took a shielded coupling with him when he went to see the inspector and the inspector said he had never seen one of those before! When my husband asked him if it was okay to use, he said it all depended on who the inspector was, so my husband left his office in a quandary as to what to do. The inspector left him with the impression they preferred the slip coupling. Now, I'm thinking, that's because he was not familiar with them!

My idea is to go back to the city inspector's office, talk to a different guy and not leave until he tells my husband specifically which coupling they want him to use. My husband is going to call this AM and make an appointment or get the info over the phone, if possible.

Yeah, we were thinking the slip coupling was going to be a problem for someone who has never done it before. Neither myself or my husband has ever done plumbing before so all this is new to us. Your tip about slamming the slip coupling with a 2x4 after it's glued and slipped down and gets stuck... we would never have known to do that! So, thank you very much. If that's what the inspector wants, that's what he's going to get, I guess.

I, too, like the idea of the shielded coupling. That's what we are going to push for.

Thank you, all, for you input! It's wonderful to have a site like this to turn to for guidance. I'm going to look and see if there are any videos on the installation of a slip coupling. I must say it would be interesting to view!

Saundra
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 1, 2012, 07:02 AM
    If you can get by this fuxtation on slip couplings And check out the installation procedures you'll find a Shielded Metal Coupling is THE ONLY WAY TO GO. It's easy and if you should make a mistake you have a easy "do-over". Can't say that with a slip coupling. Good luck and let us know what you decide and how you make out. Tom

Oct 1, 2012, 07:19 AM
    If you can get by this fuxtation on slip couplings And check out the installation procedures you'll find a Shielded Metal Coupling is THE ONLY WAY TO GO. It's easy and if you should make a mistake you have a easy "do-over". Can't say that with a slip coupling. Good luck and let us know what you decide and how you make out. Tom
    Tom, We are all for the shielded metal coupling, believe me. Whether we end up using it or not depends on what the inspectors say as they are the ones who are going to be coming out to the house to inspect our work. I'm thinking they will go along with your "way to go". Will let you know what these guys say once my husband is able to see them. Once again, thanks so very much for your input.

This is a lot of hassle for a couple of novices but we are saving ourselves thousands of dollars which is necessary in the midst of the economy, right now. Makes us extra appreciative of you pros... as my father always said, "We learn by doing." You guys have the experience and we get to benefit from it.

Back at you, later.

Saundra
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 1, 2012, 07:31 AM
    And we applaud you for doing the work yourselves instead of calling in high priced help.
    That's why we're here. To assist folks just like you. Good luck with the inspector . Tom
    current pert

Oct 1, 2012, 07:40 AM
    (OK.. I gave as many greenies as AMHD would let me.. sorry for the novice advice)
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 1, 2012, 07:48 AM
    That's cool Joy! Hugs? Tom

Oct 1, 2012, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    (OK.. I gave as many greenies as AMHD would let me.. sorry for the novice advice)
    "All's well that ends well". :o) We're not at the end yet as the pipe isn't done but we're closing in. By the way, this is just part of my effort to make a steam shower. I've got to be crazy but I guess I'm like my Dad, it never occurred to him that he couldn't do something. If one does one's homework, it can be done. I can't begin to tell you how much time I've spent doing my homework.

The internet is wonderful, I must say!

Thanks, Joypulv, just the same. Talking about "green" I don't know what AMHD stands for. As My something, something... :o)

Saundra
    current pert

Oct 1, 2012, 08:10 AM
    AMHD = Ask Me Help Desk.
    My first visit here was to ask how to wire my cooktop to existing wires... and I got a good answer immediately... and so far I haven't had any disasters with my semi-dangerous amount of knowledge or lack thereof.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 08:31 AM
    Joypulv's answers are almost always 100% spot on... ;) In terms of her answers over at interior home improvement and many of the other forums I have to say I am always impressed by her knowledge and creativity! Just so you know JP!

Mark
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 1, 2012, 12:21 PM
    Joy,
    Since Mark doesn't hand out that many "flowery compliments" I'd copy this one and tape it above my computer, Don't sell yourself short. You give good solid solutions. Cheers, bTom

Oct 2, 2012, 11:54 AM
    Joy,
    Since Mark doesn't hand out that many "flowery compliments" I'd copy this one and tape it above my computer, Don't sell yourself short. You give good solid solutions. Cheers, bTom
    Speedball1, Mark, Joy,

Donald called the city inspector again, got a different fellow than the one he saw and this fellow told him either the slip joint or metal shield is fine. Just as you said! Never doubted you but the other guy my husband saw and talked to in person (an inspector, no less) didn't seem to know what he was talking about. Perhaps he was new?! Anyway, we're going ahead with the metal shield, of course.

Thank you all for walking us through this.

Saundra
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 2, 2012, 12:09 PM
    And we thank you so much foe the update, Good luck and if we can ever help in the future just ask, Tom

Oct 2, 2012, 03:22 PM
    And we thank you so much foe the update,. Good luck and if we can ever help in the future just ask, Tom
    Thanks! I just may take you up on that! Remember my name :o)

Saundrella, it's similar to Cinderella...
    rburgy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2013, 03:28 PM
    I have a 4" ABS sewer drain that has a crack in the to p about 3 " long on the top that is seeping water. How much pipe needs to be cut out to get the shielded coupling installed where the pipes are buried and they can't be moved at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please convert "Evolution", "Transformation", "Phoenix" in Sanskrit [ 0 Answers ]

Please convert 1. "Evolution", 2."Transformation", 3."Phoenix" in Sanskrit God bless - this will be used for a tattoo

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

6-5/8" no-hub coupling? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Friends. I'm trying to connect 2 6" PVC pipes in a storm drain line. The OD of the pipes is 6-5/8". A Fernco no-hub sounds like the right item to use, but the ID shown is 6", and I haven't been able to locate one that sounds like it will fit my installation. What's the secret here that I...

View more questions Search