Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juliancalifornia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 06:29 AM
    Clogged Bathroom Sink 3rd Floor Condo
    I live on a 3rd floor condo and there is no condo above me, there are two below me. I've noticed lately that my bathroom sink drains slowly. I put liquid plumber and it temporarily fixed the problem. About a week or two later it was draining slowly again. I left it as is. Today after coming home for lunch I noticed there was a low level of dirty black water in the bathroom sink. Where did it come from? I checked the bathtub and it was fine. I let hot water run in the bathtub for about 30 seconds and it drained fine. I left and when I came back home about 2 hours later, the sink was full of the black dirty water. When I drained it I noticed the water was warm. I used liquid plumber again and it appears to be draining fine now. Where is the water coming from? Will the liquid plumber damage the pipes? This building was built in 1985. There are 2 exact condos below me and I do have a common wall neighbor who's bathroom is at the same spot. Should I call a plumber? I'm sure the problem will be back. Is one of my downstairs neighbors clogging it? I don't have long hair and I don't put anything down my drains other than water and soap. Thank you.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 10, 2007, 09:31 AM
    I believe your condo plumbing shares some drain and vent pipes with the neighbor next door. Your black water was their black water a little earlier in the day. If you are part of a home owners association or have a property manager check with them regarding rodding the drains and the vent. The structure outside the drywall surface of your unit is usually not your responsibililty for repair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom sink, pipes from floor [ 12 Answers ]

Hello. I just moved into a new apartment and find the bathroom sink vanity in terrible condition. I want to replace it, but see that the three pipes for water and drainage come up out of the floor (when you open the vanity doors you see the pipes going up from the floor to the basin)--instead...

Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have...

Toilet leak ,3rd floor to 2nd floor ceiling. [ 1 Answers ]

Was told that I would have to build a 6 inch platform to place toilet high enough to get adaquate flow to prevent this. Is this valid or does anyone else have a better plan. Floors,pipes , toilet all new install to existing. 3 years.

Bathroom sink drains through floor not wall [ 9 Answers ]

Hello First, let me say this a great forum. I just found it and registered. I want to put in a Kohler Cimmaron pedestal sink in my bathroom. The only difficulty is that the existing drain goes through the concrete floor rather than curving into the wall. And, it is about three inches off...

Clogged bathroom Sink Drain [ 1 Answers ]

My bathroom sink will not drain all the way. Had plumber in who put snake down drain from under sink and then removed toilet to enter from that end. Was told that the snake could break my lead pipe under the floor so he stopped and said that he had to break up the floor and replace entire pipe. ...

View more questions Search