Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JennaC Posts: 54, Reputation: 6

Sep 29, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Moving Question for American Expats
    Hello all! I am looking for information, advice and any good tips one can offer on the moving of a large library of books from the USA to the UK. I have about 150 books to move and obviously can't take them on the plane with me. If you have any international moving experience, what advice can you offer in this regard? Do you know of any resources which I can utilize to make this experience as pain-free as possible? Thank you in advance!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 29, 2012, 08:09 AM
    Price the several shipping services, but also check with the airline for their freight charges and even over weight charges. On 100 lbs ( know you have more) it was about 1/2 the price for me just to pay a over weight charge for luggage and bring things to China than it was to ship it any other way.

On the other note, consider not moving it, go as light as possible, After getting here, I found that most of the things I bought is too much. Depending on who you are working for in UK, but space is always a issue.
    JennaC Posts: 54, Reputation: 6

Oct 2, 2012, 02:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Price the several shipping services, but also check with the airline for their freight charges and even over weight charges. On 100 lbs ( know you have more) it was about 1/2 the price for me just to pay a over weight charge for luggage and bring things to China than it was to ship it any other way.

On the other note, consider not moving it, go as light as possible, After getting here, I found that most of the things I bought is too much. Depending on who you are working for in UK, but space is always a issue.
    Thank you! I'm good with space since we are moving to a pretty big apartment and I've downsized to the bare minimum. I'll keep these tips in mind.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 2, 2012, 03:10 AM
    From making every mistake in the world. I used to travel to other countries for several months, and when I was single, if it did not fit into a back pack, I did not need it.

My last move to China, we got all the lists from all the "boards" of what we needed and what we did not. They were all wrong. Wish I had just brought my backpack and a toaster oven.
    And maybe some Mustard.

But at least here in China, except for Mustard there is nothing I can't find, at either same price as it is in the US. Or much cheaper. None of those super high prices I was told.

Even being 6'1 : and 240 lbs I can find shirts and pants here in China, at most stores and of course at Walmart, ( got to love them) This week, we did the what all American can we find, but normally we do normal life here, eating off carts and at the college.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Non-Jewish American moving to Isreal somehow? [ 12 Answers ]

I want to move to Israel to be with my boyfriend living there. How can I go legally? What do I have to do? Become a student somewhere? Convert? Get married? What are my options?

American Moving to Canada [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there. I'm in a bit of a pickle - I am Canadian, and my boyfriend is American. In the near future, he is hoping to move in with me, but I'm having issues finding information on how I can go about doing it. Besides getting a work visa, is there any way for him to stay here legally?

Canadian moving in with, then marrying American [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm a Canadian Citizen living in Ontario and my boyfriend is a US citizen living in western New York. I would like to move in with him, but I'm not sure how to best address the immigration situation. I would like to move sometime next month. We plan on becoming engaged in the near...

View more questions Search