Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpmedrbill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2012, 03:40 AM
    To DrBill100 re hair test & cocaine
    I used a small amount of cocaine last week at a party with some old friends. By 'small' I mean two tiny key bumps that combined would have been a small bump. Prior to that, the last time I used any was one time more than a year ago.

I have a couple of interviews coming up in the next couple of weeks and don't know what kind of drug screening they do. They may test hair.

I have medium brown, fine textured, wavy hair with about 10% gray; I color my hair and need to touch up my roots before the interviews. Am I likely to be above the 500 pg/gr threshold for positive because of those two tiny key bumps? And does coloring hair have any effect?

Thanks!
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2012, 09:32 PM
    You are a study in hair drug testing.

Cocaine (COC) is incorporated into hair at the very highest rate of all drugs (1). This is influenced by hair color (eumelanin content) and hair structure. The lighter the hair color the less likely the drug will be absorbed. This applies to basic drug including COC. (2)

Therefore grey hair (containing no eumelanin) is unlikely to absorb COC.

Dyeing hair is known to reduce drug content but this is (seems to be) related to method. Superficial coloring having less affect than permanent hair color. (4)

The most important factor is that low level use (of even basic drugs) is seldom detected by HDT. (3)

With primary reliance on the findings of Kleber (3) and other similar findings it is unlikely that the use you describe will be detected by HDT.

1) Nakahara, Y (1999) Hair analysis for abused and therapeutic drugs. Journal of Chromatography B, 733 (1999) 161–180, [p 174 contains graph of incorporation by drug type]

2)Ropero-Miller

3) Galanter & Kleber, 2011 Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Substance Abuse, American Psychiatric Publishing, Wash, DC, p. 58

4) Norchem Laboratories
    helpmedrbill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2012, 11:21 PM
    Thanks for your answer, dr. bill, and also for the links. It's hard to find accurate information about this.
    Quick Question Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Oct 28, 2012, 06:53 PM
    Hey there, I am trying to find the same answer you were looking for. Did you happen to do the test? How long after use? And did you pass or fail?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I pass a hair folicle test if I did 1 line of cocaine 3 weeks ago? [ 12 Answers ]

I just got a call for work, and they are requiring a hair follicle test. I do not ussually do drugs but did a single line of cocaine 2 weeks ago, and my test is in 1 week. I never smoke pot or any other drugs, and this was the only time I've done drugs in at least a year or more, am I going to...

For DrBill100 about EtG test [ 5 Answers ]

Dr. Bill, I have to take an EtG UA 22 hours after drinking two 30% alcohol shots. If I drink a lot of water what do you think my chances are of passing? Thank you so much in advance.

To DrBill100: Hair Drug Test Q [ 13 Answers ]

To DrBill100: I have read many of your post about the subject but as you may see from many people, but I still have to ask for myself. I recently was offered a new job opportunity and what was required was a Hair Drug Test (HDT). Before the date of the HDT it was 71 days that I did pot (around 2...

Hair test after cocaine [ 5 Answers ]

Okay so I did coke about 35 days ago and now I found out I have a hair test Monday. Ive cut all my hair three times since then including body hair. Right now my hair is about 1/2 an inch long on my hea but I keep my entire body trimmed. What are my chances of passing.

View more questions Search