Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pabrett1948 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2012, 01:48 PM
    My husband works so is he the only one to file if I
    I receive disability, my husband works, last year we filed together which we shouldn't have. So is he the only one that has to file?

Also, I am on medicare, because my husband ajusted income was 171,000, they added another 50.00 to take from my check. I tried to explain to them that he was able to take from his 401 on a one time basis, so that made his income higher. Can they do that?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 02:11 PM
    You are correct that HE is the only person that has to file. He can file Married Filing Separately, but claim YOUR exemption since you are NOT filing.

As for whether they can decrease your Medicare by $50, that is a question for an attorney that specializes in Medicare cases.
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Sep 29, 2012, 09:50 AM
    Just a note: If your disability income is from Social Security and you file separate, the odds are you are going to owe taxes on it (depending on the $ amount). If that is true, I do not believe your husband will be able to claim you. If the disability is from another nontaxable policy then I agree with Atlanta.

As far as the Medicare issue - Here is what Social Security says:

If you file your taxes as “married, filing jointly” and your MAGI is greater than $170,000, you need to pay higher premiums for your Part B and Medicare prescription drug coverage. If you file your taxes using a different status and your MAGI is greater than $85,000, you also need to pay higher premiums. (See the chart on pages 8-9 for an idea of what you can expect to pay.)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 29, 2012, 12:29 PM
    Probably the best advice for the 2012 tax return is to get professional help in preparing the return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband was told by PO to file for early termination. What form does he file? [ 15 Answers ]

My husband served 20 years in the Federal Penitentry and has been on parole over six years. His PO has told him that since he has not even been in contact with law Enforcement etc, since his release in 2006, to file for early termination and He will also recommend by letter that his supervision be...

How do I file taxes if my husband lives and works out of the country, but I don't? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I got married this summer. He lived and worked out of the country all year, and up until we got married, I lived and worked in NYC. My husband does not have to pay state tax, but I do. However, I have overpaid for the year and should get a refund. The refund isn't enough that I...

How to file when wife works and lives year-round in WV and husband in NC. [ 1 Answers ]

My wife has a small LLC business (single member) and operates and works along on this schedule C business in WV where together we own a residence and she lives year round. Though we jointly own the residence in WV, I currently (2010) reside (apartment rental) and work as a W-2 employee for a...

Works 7.0 Default File Location [ 3 Answers ]

Works 7.0. I have two hard drives with my files on the E: drive. Works always looks to C:/MyDocuments. I want to change it to look at E:/MyDocuments. Easy to do in Office. How can it be done in Works ?

MS Works 7.0 Default File Location [ 2 Answers ]

How do I set or change the default file location in MS Works 7.0 ?

View more questions Search