Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmeade0038 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2012, 08:01 AM
    I can't tell if my boyfriend just worries a lot, or is controlling.
    I love my boyfriend (I'll refer to him as B for privacy). We've been together for 7 months, and it's like a dream. But he doesn't give me as much space as I need, and has "refused" to allow me to do a few things. And it's making me rethink the relationship.

From my past boyfriend, B is a huge step up. But he's clingy. A few weeks back, my ex sent me a message apologizing for the way he treated me, and asking if we could be friends. I was okay with it, I'd forgiven him, but I decided to ask B, because I knew that he would want to know. He was absolutely against it. He refused to even hear my side because he was afraid that my ex would snake his way in-between us and drive us apart. I talked to a couple of my other guy friends about this (who for a time B hated, but he's over that), and they said that it probably was in my best effort to not talk to my ex. I trust their advice, so I told him, that I didn't want problems to arise between B and I.

Yesterday a group of my friends were thinking about a weekend getaway to Kings Island for Halloween. There would be us four, without significant others. I knew that B wouldn't be able to go because of his mom. When I called B to ask, he said that he wasn't able to go, like I suspected. When he learned that my guy friends were going too, it was an instant no. Even though these are the same guys who look out for me every day in college and are my closest friends. They are my brothers, figuratively speaking.

I decided to wait it out, talk to him later about it, and have T (one of the guys mentioned above), talk to him and explain it. But B still refused. He doesn't even want me going up to Morehead for a weekend to spend time with my close friends up there. I was supposed to go to Morehead with them, but because of shortage of funds, I'm at ACTC tech.

I hate being restricted. I would have been okay with it, if these were the only two things that have happened, but B gets so upset if I forget to send him a message as soon as I wake up, or when I get home. He always wants to know where I'm at and what I'm doing. He says that he can't live without me, that he "needs" me.

I just don't know what to do. Can someone help me please?
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 08:08 AM
    He is controlling. He has no right to tell you who you can talk to or where you can go, And why are you asking him? He has refused to allow you to do a few things? Does he pay your tuition, your bills, is he your daddy?
    Let this one go. He will make your life miserable
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 08:16 AM
    Real love means trust, willingness to give the partner space. If there's no trust...

Sep 28, 2012, 08:39 AM
    Well, he claims to be worried about my safety, and he apologizes and promises to make it up to me later. He's constantly asking me "Why do you put up with me?" etc. He really is a great guy. But... I don't know. He claims to trust me, he just doesn't trust other people. He wants me to wear my hair up when I'm not around him, and there are certain jeans or shirts that I can only wear around him. The thought of losing him kills me, but I hate being restricted as well.
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 08:43 AM
    This boy has issues and you need to stop enabling him. You have only been with him 7 months and he's telling you what to wear, were to go and who to talk to? It will only get worse. You need to leave him alone.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeade0038 View Post
    Well, he claims to be worried about my safety, and he apologizes and promises to make it up to me later. he's constantly asking me "Why do you put up with me?" etc. He really is a great guy. But... I don't know. he claims to trust me, he just doesn't trust other people. He wants me to wear my hair up when I'm not around him, and their are certain jeans or shirts that I can only wear around him. The thought of losing him kills me, but I hate being restricted as well.
    He doesn't trust YOU. Why can't you see that?

What part of him is a "great guy"?

Sep 28, 2012, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    He doesn't trust YOU. Why can't you see that?

What part of him is a "great guy"?
    The part of him that's a great guy is he tells me everything, he doesn't look at other girls, he makes me feel, loved and needed. Showers me with gifts even though I don't need them to be happy.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 09:07 AM
    The part of him that's a great guy is he tells me everything, he doesn't look at other girls, he makes me feel, loved and needed. Showers me with gifts even though I don't need them to be happy.
    Now, let's think about that. Why the showering with gifts? Because he loves you--or for some other reason?

He knows guys check you out because he checks out other women. It's the nature of the male. I don't believe he doesn't notice other women, even in a cursory way.

Is his effort to make you "feel loved and needed" part of his "locking you in" process?

Sep 28, 2012, 09:11 AM
    Now, let's think about that. Why the showering with gifts? Because he loves you--or for some other reason?

He knows guys check you out because he checks out other women. It's the nature of the male. I don't believe he doesn't notice other women, even in a cursory way.

Is his effort to make you "feel loved and needed" part of his "locking you in" process?
    Well, I know that when we watch movies, if there's even the slightest bit of nudity, even a woman in a bathing suit, etc, he looks away and asks me to tell him when it's off the screen.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 09:19 AM
    Well, I know that when we watch movies, if there's even the slightest bit of nudity, even a woman in a bathing suit, etc, he looks away and asks me to tell him when it's off the screen.
    Is he a very religious person? What has his upbringing been like that he is so rigid?

Sep 28, 2012, 09:25 AM
    Is he a very religious person? What has his upbringing been like that he is so rigid?
    No, he's not very religious. He just believes that when you are in a relationship with someone, then you should be loyal to them. He views seeing someone as attractive a form of cheating. Or looking at any form of nudity other than your partners. Because it makes you lust after that other person. Essentially, when you are with someone, you shouldn't be attracted to ANYONE else in the slightest way.
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 09:29 AM
    This guy has issues and he is going to drive you crazy. How old is he?
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 09:31 AM
    He wants to mold you into someone who is like him. He want to control and change you. How old are you?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 09:31 AM
    No, he's not very religious. He just believes that when you are in a relationship with someone, then you should be loyal to them. He views seeing someone as attractive a form of cheating. Or looking at any form of nudity other than your partners. Because it makes you lust after that other person. essentially, when you are with someone, you shouldn't be attracted to ANYONE else in the slightest way.
    That is a very definite warning sign -- along with the showering of gifts, lack of trust, his directives on hair and clothes, his checking up on your whereabouts (?).

Sep 28, 2012, 09:35 AM
    That is a very definite warning sign -- along with the showering of gifts, lack of trust, his directives on hair and clothes, his checking up on your whereabouts (?).
    We're both 18. I'm a few months older then he is. And he does like knowing where I'm at yes.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 09:37 AM
    We're both 18. I'm a few months older then he is. And he does like knowing where I'm at yes.
    That doesn't turn on flashing warning lights in your brain?
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 09:38 AM
    This is a huge red flag.

Sep 28, 2012, 09:39 AM
    That doesn't turn on flashing warning lights in your brain?
    Well he says he just likes knowing that I've arrived at places safely.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 09:40 AM
    Well he says he just likes knowing that I've arrived at places safely.
    Good line...

And how does he excuse the clothing and hair directives?
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
    I think you know this is not normal, which is why you're asking.
    This is a bad relationship. He is the type who can be abusive when he is angered and disobeyed. You need to leave him alone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my boyfriend controlling? [ 17 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend for about 7 months now. I'm 18 and he's 24. He says he gets nervous when I go out because I drink sometimes or he doesn't know who I'm with but then he never comes out with me. I tell him if he's so worried he should be there. He constantly texts me all day long and...

What to do about a controlling boyfriend? [ 14 Answers ]

In July of 2008, my boyfriend and I met. Everything was going amazing and everything but about a year or so after, everything changed. I was only allowed to talk to a few people and then it turned into none. He has all of my passwords to everything, tracks my phone bill to know who I talk to and...

Boyfriend controlling [ 2 Answers ]

My partner and I have children from past relationships. His x dragged him through court a couple of years ago to deal with it all. My x lives in another country and has no contact with his daughter. He has come over to see her, the csa has stopped him from leaving the country until he comes up with...

Is my boyfriend controlling [ 4 Answers ]

I have been in my current relationship for 10 months and everything is going great. But my boyfriend seems like he is controlling I really think so but I kind of think it's love because I've never had a man care about my whereabouts like that. He tells me it's to know where I am in case something...

Boyfriend worries [ 8 Answers ]

I got together with my boyfriend while he was seeing someone else. Now they have broken up and we are together.. but his family doesn't know as they are still close friends with his ex He says he is going to tell them in the next week His ex came down to stay recently at his family home... but...

View more questions Search