Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ruddy1985 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2012, 05:52 AM
    Can I (on H1B) marry someone who has applied for Asylum in the US?
    I'm an Indian Citizen. I have two Civil Engineering degrees from the US. I am currently on my H1B. My company will be applying for my Green Card early next year. My girlfriend is a Russian citizen. We have been seeing each other for several months now. She came to the US as an exchange student. She has applied for Political Asylum in the US. Her case is still pending and will go on trial / court in Dec 2014. We want to get married, but I am unsure of what to do about her visa status. Can she apply for a dependent visa (H2) once we get married? Please help!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2012, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruddy1985 View Post
    I m an Indian Citizen. I have two Civil Engineering degrees from the US. I am currently on my H1B. My company will be applying for my Green Card early next year. My girlfriend is a Russian citizen. We have been seeing eachother for several months now. She came to the US as an exchange student. She has applied for Political Asylum in the US. Her case is still pending and will go on trial / court in Dec 2014. We want to get married, but I am unsure of what to do about her visa status. Can she apply for a dependent visa (H2) once we get married? Please help!

If she is granted asylum and then lives in the US for a year she automatically will be granted permanent status in the US.

No, she can't apply for another status while waiting for her Court hearing. It's not allowed and would only complicate matters.

The person to talk to is her Immigration Attorney who is familiar with her particular case and status. You also need to address what the outcome will be if she is denied political asylum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First H1B petition applied in 2005 and second in 2008. Am I exempted from CAP? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, My initial petition was applied in 2005 and approved. My second one was approved in 2008. But I spent around 4 years on these H1's. Can I apply a new petition with out CAP restrictions even though I was CAP counted around 7 years back ( But I used only 4 years out of it ).

Granted asylum 10 yrs ago- applied for green card last year- will it be backdated ? [ 4 Answers ]

I was granted asylum in 1998- I never applied for my green card till last year- I have intervieew to get my green card next month - do you think it will be backdated from the day I was granted asylum or the day I applied for green card- hence if I am backdated till 1998 I can apply for...

Applying for asylum [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé is in removal proceedings and he is being detained in a detention facility. He has a Misdamenor domestic charge, can he still apply for asylum?:confused:

Asylum [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I recently helped a relative who was been persecuted back in our home country to apply for assylum and it was successful.I am a social activist that try to do my best to help people suffering injustices back home in africa.I am a student here in the United States but I have gotten into...

View more questions Search