Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpost Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2005, 02:24 PM
    Hammering in pipes
    In order to clear a sink drain clog in an upstairs bathroom this weekend, I needed to remove the shutoff valves to get clearance to remove the P trap. This entailed turning off valves in the basement for the lines that supplied the upstairs bathroom. Everything went back together again and, after some initial spluttering to rid the air in the lines when I first turned the water back on again, all seemed well. However, sometimes if I open the faucets only part way, a hammering starts in the pipes and the water turns off/on about 4 times per second. If I open the faucets further, the hammering stops. This happens in the sink faucets and the shower, which are fed by the same supply lines and happens in both the hot and cold sides. This never happened before I shut off the water.

Is there anything that I can do to get rid of this problem without having to install water hammer arrestors? Since this never happened before, I don't want to tear into my walls if I don't have to.
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Jan 9, 2005, 03:24 PM
    That hammering is due to air included somewhere in the circuit.
    Open all faucets to get the air out.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 10, 2005, 06:57 AM
    Hammering in pipes
    This is neither a "water hammer" or a "air in pipes" situation and you shouldn't have to tear into walls to fix it. The sound you hear is caused by vibration. A piece of washer or mineral build up, that you disturbed when you took the stops off and replaced them, vibrating against the seat as the water rushes by. Start the vibration again and try to track it back to the valve that it's the loudest in. When you locate the valve shut the water off and open it up. Place a pan over it to prevent splash and turn the water back on for a minute to flush out the supply lines. This may take a little detective work to track down but my money's on one of your bathroom valves. Good luck and let me know how you make out. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I'm redoing a bathroom in a 1960's vintage home. Wanted to replace the rusted pipes draining from the sink (in the wall) with pvc. Should I screw out the pipe or just pull. Do I have to knock out the wall and get a clear view or can I do the job without wall damage. When I install the PVC do I...

Air in pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have 2 questions 1- How can I take the air out from the hot water pipes. Summary: I bought a house and the plumbing was re-done just before and also a new gas hot water tank was installed. Sometimes the noise scares my kids.:D 2- Why do we have a hard time to have a shower with...

Bathroom pipes [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new pipe in my bathroom sink. I thought I had everything attatched correctly, but water does not exit the pipes. The pipes are NOT clogged. Can you help me?

Abs pvc pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm redesigning my bathroom, and noticed that I have ABS pipes. The home depot don't sell any ABS supplies, but I was told that I could use the PVC instead. The guy over at Home depot seemed not to know much about plumbing. My question would be if I connect ABS with PVC is there any issues, or any...

Air in kitchen sink line - occasional hammering [ 3 Answers ]

I am helping someone with this problem and have only had it described to me, along with a layout of the house. A one story, concrete slab house, five years old is experiencing the problem. Infrequently when the kitchen faucet is turned on there is air discharge and hammering from both the cold...

View more questions Search