Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bitlover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2012, 01:31 AM
    I cannot see my HDD during windows 7 Installation?
    I tried to re-size the HDD of my new Dell inspiron 7520 laptop and now I can not recover my old OS or even install a new one since during my new installation there is no HDD is visible.

I took an image using acronis software on a flash disk but I still can get it working
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Feb 15, 2013, 12:46 PM
    A hard drive needs to be initialized before it will be recognized for an installation. If it were a secondary drive you could see it and initialize it from within Windows, but since it's the only drive, you will have to use a boot utility to initialize the drive. You would also need an Acronis boot disk to be able to see the backup on the flash drive. Try searching for a free boot disk like UBCD or similar. I hope your laptop has an optical drive. They're starting to go the way of the floppy.
    farvaknowsbest Posts: 199, Reputation: 8

May 30, 2013, 11:15 AM
    Almost sounds like your MBR got hosed. If you have the Windows Disc, try booting to that, and then choosing repair Windows after it loads. Bring up a command prompt and type the following commands in order:

Bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    Bootrec.exe /fixboot
    Bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

If you do not get any error messages when doing this, reboot the PC to the HDD and see if it works. Hope that helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When installing new windows servicepack2 os on new hdd it goes to power saving mode [ 0 Answers ]

When installing new windows servicepack2 os on new hdd it goes to power saving mode

After new HDD, can't boot to BIOS w/HDD connected [ 3 Answers ]

This is my computer: Link Gateway GT5228 This is my motherboard: Link FIC K2BC51 Motherboard with NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Chipset This is my new HDD: Link WD Caviar Black Model: WD1002FAEX Brief history of the problem:• After an office move, old HDD failed 4 times in 2 weeks; recovered,...

Adding Samsung HDD to back up document on RAID array, HDD not detected [ 4 Answers ]

I recently purchased a Samsung 1.5Tb Eco Drive to back up some of my documents. I cannot seem to get the computer to recognise the drive in the Computer Management tab so that I can partition and format the drive correctly and begin my backup. On my computer presently I am running 3x320Gb HDD's...

Windows installation [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! Please guide me. How to install windows in right way? Tell me about proper way of formatting drives in windows and about patition also

Windows xp installation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, When upgrading from me to xp do I need to backup my files or are they automatically transferred. Thanks kedarh

View more questions Search