Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kathy67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2005, 06:24 AM
    1 mile walk
    Could you please tell me the minutes it should take for an average 55 year old female to walk 1 mile? Thank you!
    drwls Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jan 9, 2005, 06:42 AM
    That depends upon fitness and weight, but at a leisurely pace it should take 20 minutes, and at a brisk pace, 16 minutes.
    InTheEyesOfALI Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2005, 09:31 PM
    Walking
    OK look I am not sure if your doing a one mile walk to be healthy but the average person has to walk about 3 hours at a steady pace to lose even one pound... so I consider jogging but if your not looking to be healthy and just want to no how long it takes then nvm
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2005, 09:38 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised at more like 30 minutes.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2005, 06:00 AM
    1 mile walk
    Hi,
    At 63 yrs old, I don't walk as much as I should now.
    But at 55 or a little older, the doctor told me to walk a mile a day, swinging my arms back and forth, at a "faster than regular walk".
    It takes me about 15 to 18 minutes.
    Walking doesn't help lose weight that much. My doctor said the primary reason is to help lower the "bad" cholesterol, increase the heart rate, and keep the heart healthy. It helps keep the blood flowing nicely, and gets exercise at the same time.
    The time should be the same for a female. The thing that would slow down a person walking a mile might be if they were way overweight. They would have to take it slow at first, until their strength builds up some, getting use to it. It would be a good idea to consult with your doctor before starting it.
    Best of luck, and if you can, keep it up!
    fredg
    InTheEyesOfALI Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2005, 11:12 AM
    30 min?
    Walking for 30 minutes will not help u lose weight... yes fredg is right about lowering your cholesterol but to lose weight in thirty minutes you have to be power walking
    damienbfree Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2009, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheEyesOfALI View Post
    walking for 30 minutes will not help u lose weight...yes fredg is right about lowering your cholesterol but to lose weight in thirty minutes you have to be power walking
    I think anyone who tries to lose weight by walking is approaching it backwards.
    Walking will strengthen muscles and help your heart. The only way to really
    Lose weight is by watching your diet. But you will get some help in that direction
    By raising your metabolism from walking.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2009, 02:03 AM

I walk one mile in 14 minutes, and I'm a 48 year old female. That's walking with children, I can go slightly faster on my own.
    calsurf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2009, 10:38 AM

Walking is great exercise, fifteen to twenty minutes, depending on your level of fitness. If you are out of shape, on level ground, perhaps 30 minutes. If you're trying to lose weight, stop eating bread and immediately stop drinking any type of pop, and replace with bottled water. Stop eating all fast-food, but if you weaken, order the salad and bottled water option, do not drink pop. You can lose 10 lbs per month, if you stop the liquid sugar you're drinking. Most people drink more calories than they realize, there are 12 tbsp's of sugar in a can of pop. Diet pop is no better, due to the aspartamine, which isn't good for you. Go for water, or the flavoured water, in six packs from your grocery store, and keep it in the fridge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog won't walk with me on leash [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a 4 month old puppy. She stubbornly sits and won't budge when I try to take her on walks. Anyone know how I can get her to stop doing it and l walk with me?

Ex is playing games am I right to walk away? [ 7 Answers ]

I posted a question here about three weeks ago and I got some really great advice back, it was with regards to my ex-girlfriend, we had been out of contact for about two months after trying to be friends, I thought I was never going to hear from her again, and to be honest I was slowly getting use...

Should I walk away? [ 213 Answers ]

hey guys I am new to this site so please bare with me =) I am 26 year old male who I would say am a good looking guy, I own my own house, I have a good job etc... I guess what I am trying to say is I have a good life and I have a lot to show for. Now 6 montn I fell deeply in love with an old...

Should I stay or should I walk away [ 15 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend since I was 15 years old I am now 21 and he is 22 years old... We have a little boy who is 17 months old... We both attend the same college and are supposed to be graudating soon... anyway we broke up back in December and we just started to get back on good terms...

View more questions Search