Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superracer21x Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2012, 06:07 PM
    Help with finding concentration in solutions
    So I have a 50 mL volumetric flask filled all the way to 50 ml. The 50 ml included 2.182g of .150 M cobalt nitrate. I than use 5 test tubes. The first test tube I fill with 1ml of nitrate and 4 ml of water, the second I fill with 2 ml nitrate and 3 ml water, the third with 3 ml nitrate and 2 ml water, the fourth with 4 ml nitrate and 1 ml water, and fifth with 5 ml nitrate and 0 ml of water. So each test has 5 ml in total. Knowing this information how do I find the concentration of each test tube. I was told I would need to use the formula m1v1=m2v2 but I don't know how. Help please.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2012, 08:14 AM
    m1 is the initial molarity.
    v1 in the initial volume.
    m2 is the final molarity.
    v2 is the final volume.

What you need to find in each case is the molarity.

For the first test tube, you have 4 mL of cobalt nitrate and 1 mL of water.
    What is the molarity of the 4 mL of cobalt nitrate? This is m1
    What is the initial volume of cobalt nitrate? This is v1
    What is the final volume of cobalt nitrate? This is v2

Put those in your equation and you'll be able to find m2.

Same procedure for the others.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding concentration of Calcium ion [ 6 Answers ]

Hi guys, I'm working on some questions for a chemistry report and I honestly have no clue how to do it Hopefully someone here can help 2a. In your notebook, write the dissociation equation for calcium hydroxide. 2b. Write the equilibrium constant expression (Ksp) for this equation. 2c. If the...

Finding the effect of the increased concentration of ions on the equilibrium [ 1 Answers ]

Suppose that some solid sodium acetate, CH3COONa (s), were added to a saturated solution of silver acetate which is in equilibrium with some CH3COOAg(s). After the sodium acetate has dissolved, what will be the effect of the increased concentration of the acetate ion on the equilibrium? ...

Concentration of new solutions [ 1 Answers ]

Using a pipet, 10 mL of a 0.1005 M HCl solution was paced in a 50 mL volumetric flask and the flask was filled to the mark with water. What is the concentration of the new solution?

Finding solutions [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, could you please tell me how to find these x values Below is an enclosed attachment Thanks

Concentration... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, My problem is that I can only sit to study a particular subject for around 15 minutes. What I mean is... suppose I take a biology lesson which I have to complete learning within 2 hours. Now as I start studying... I'll learn for say around 15 minutes without many thoughts coming to my...

View more questions Search