Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Sep 25, 2012, 04:10 PM
    50 gallon gas water heater
    Hey there everyone, need some help. My 50 gallon gas water heater is going bad
    So I'm looking to replace it with a. O. Smith 50 gallon promax power vent. Now my question is can it be replaced without converting anything? I have a G E 50 gallon water heater without a power vent. My water heater vent ties into my boiler vent. I don't have central air. I have radiators. Can anyone tell me if I can install this water heater he same way as my old one?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 25, 2012, 05:12 PM
    Hi again Davidadrian140

Can't do it without changing things a bit! Here, at a minimum, you'll have to change the flu piping from direct vent to the chimney (boiler vent) to vent piping that goes to the exterior of the building... usually piped in schedule 40 PVC pipe. This vent pipe needs to be pretty high off the ground (usually 7 feet) and can't be within 4-10 feet of any windows, vents, gas meters, etc...

When you make this change it could cause issues with the boiler venting, but not usually as much an issue as if you remove the boiler from the chimney and leave the water heater, so don't worry too much about that.

You'll also need to add an electrical outlet @ 120V... usually a dedicated circuit here.

Otherwise, most of the rest stays the same.

Why do you want to do this? Power vent systems are noisy and usually only used when there is no chimney or boiler venting present... ;)

Let me know more, OK?

Mark
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Sep 25, 2012, 05:22 PM
    A power vent A.O. Smith promax gas water heater must be vented to the outside, read instructions for locations. There are distance restrictions, 3' from a gas meter, 4' from a window plus other requirements in the instructions.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 25, 2012, 05:37 PM
    I agree with both above post. Main changes will be completely separate venting and electrical source. Water and gas hookups will be roughly the same. Also, some powervent water heaters require a condensate drain hose off the vent (not usually an issue).
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2012, 02:44 AM
    I was only thinking of going with a power vent because I was getting it at a really good price BUT I think I'll go with a conventional one instead. Massplumber, puffmugs, mygirlsdad, thanks for the input. You have been of great help to me. Thank You.
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Sep 26, 2012, 04:28 PM
    I don't know what a good price was that you were getting, but in the Ohio area a pro max power vent is close to $900 and a pro max standard flue vent is about $550, if that helps you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

20 gallon vs 30/38 gallon electric hot water heater? [ 12 Answers ]

I am faced with the same hot water heater question as others. I am building a small utility building on property on Texas Gulf Coast. Within this building I want to put a small shower stall with a hot water heater to supply this shower and occasionally use a washer. It will be for...

Who Knew 50 gallon low boy water heater would deliver only 30 gallons of hot water [ 6 Answers ]

I have been told by State Industries that my (their product) 50 gallon electric low boy waterheater's performance is acceptable if it only produces 25 gallons before dropping 30 degrees from the set tempature. They said 60 percent of the stated size (50 gallon x 60%=30 gallons) is normal. The...

Apollo Hydroswirl 75 gallon Gas Water Heater leaking, replace? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, My Apollo Hydroswirl heater installed in 1992 began producing less hot water than normal so I did what any good homeowner would. Nothing. Ha ha Unfortunately, the reduction in hot water forced me to make an inspection under the house. I will attach several pictures for your consideration...

80 gallon vs 2 40 gallon water heater. [ 1 Answers ]

I own a small motel that has two 40 gallon water heaters hooked up consecutively. They are about 20 years old. The furnace (hydronic heat) is hooked up to the water heaters as well and preheats the water before it goes to the 40 gallon tanks. I would like to replace the water heaters and was...

2 40 gallon water heater vs 1 80 gallon [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a new house. I am considering installing two 40 gallon water heaters rather than one 80 gallon water heater. My thought is that I could turn one the 40 gallon heaters off as there are only two of us most of the time. Then we could turn on the other when we have guest. Is there a...

View more questions Search