Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ok1102 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2012, 03:47 PM
    Us passport for green card holder
    I am a green card holder.I was married here in USA and my last name not same now.So my last name in passport and green card different and my visa in passport expire.How can I travel out of USA and how I can return back?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2012, 03:59 PM
    Rules for green cards have changed... you can't reside outside of USA most of the time and retain them any longer.

You also aren't entitled to a US Passport either as a green card holder, you HAVE to become a citizen to get that.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Maintaining Permanent Residence

You may lose your permanent resident status (green card) if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law, as described in Section 237 or 212 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) (see the “INA” link to the right). If you commit such an act, you may be brought before an immigration court to determine your right to remain a permanent resident.
    Abandoning Permanent Resident Status

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

Move to another country intending to live there permanently
    Remain outside of the United States for more than 1 year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However, in determining whether your status has been abandoned, any length of absence from the United States may be considered, even if less than 1 year
    Remain outside of the United States for more than 2 years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However, in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the United States may be considered, even if less than 1 year
    Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period
    Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obtaining us passport for green card holder [ 17 Answers ]

I've search and haven't found anything. I'm a non us citizen but a green card holder, how do I obtain a us passport besides becoming a us citizen. Going to travel to japan soon and I won't have enough time 2 become a us citizen. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Passport application Green Card holder [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend who arrived in the US as a refugee from Somalia. He now has a green card and wishes to apply for a passport. Can he apply for a US passort?

View more questions Search